Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2014 Sockeye Returns could be Bigger then 2010 Run  (Read 12324 times)

dnibbles

Re: 2014 Sockeye Returns could be Bigger then 2010 Run
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/missing-fish-farms-offer-clue-anticipated-70-million-sockeye-return/
Oh. Em. Gee.

Not sure where to begin with that article. Let's just say that DC should leave the forecasting to those who get paid to do it. So many inaccuracies in that article I can't even start.

Ian Forbes

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 12:58:26 AM »

Fed Fish doesn't have a clue what is going on in our oceans, so why would anyone else? Nor, does Fed Fish even CARE what happens to wild populations of salmon and steelhead. They have one mandate and that is to promote salt water fish farms. Everything else is just window dressing for the media. It has been obvious since day one. Fed Fish gets its orders from current political parties who get their instructions from whatever big business operation is greasing their wheels. If you think otherwise you are blind. Fed Fish spent 60 years destroying the east coast fishery and when that  was done they startedd on the west coast. The results have been obvious to even a blind man. But, because you can't actually SEE under the ocean surface then it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. The apathetic public just sees its next handout.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

Fed Fish doesn't have a clue what is going on in our oceans, so why would anyone else? Nor, does Fed Fish even CARE what happens to wild populations of salmon and steelhead. They have one mandate and that is to promote salt water fish farms. Everything else is just window dressing for the media. It has been obvious since day one. Fed Fish gets its orders from current political parties who get their instructions from whatever big business operation is greasing their wheels. If you think otherwise you are blind. Fed Fish spent 60 years destroying the east coast fishery and when that  was done they startedd on the west coast. The results have been obvious to even a blind man. But, because you can't actually SEE under the ocean surface then it's a case of out of sight, out of mind. The apathetic public just sees its next handout.
So true and so sad too. Our generation Ian, were the last to see wild fish as they should be and could still be with proper management. It always amazes me there still is people that defend ocean located fish farms, there is even some on this forum. :-X

Makes a person want to move to Thailand. ;D ;D

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:19 PM »

Yeah, no fish (and shrimp) farms in Thailand to worry about...

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »

It always amazes me there still is people that defend ocean located fish farms, there is even some on this forum. :-X

You're not fishing deep enough ;D 

dnibbles

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »

So true and so sad too. Our generation Ian, were the last to see wild fish as they should be and could still be with proper management. It always amazes me there still is people that defend ocean located fish farms, there is even some on this forum. :-X

Makes a person want to move to Thailand. ;D ;D

Did my generation miss 2010?

My beef with DC's article has nothing to do with farms, it's the very inaccurate statements he makes speculating on what we "should" see for returns next year. Anyways, the Fraser sockeye forecast has more than its share of warts. It boggles my mind the amount of money and resources that go into providing the data to generate a forecast of 7-72 million. Yes, the way forecasts are generated with statistics means there is a probability distribution, but to report that range to the media is embarrassing. I heard Global BC in one day report the forecast as 70 million (the morning news) and then later from 23-70 million (the 6 o'clock), neither of which is correct. Can't blame them though, the message is completely unclear. For the record, the point forecast is 23M, with a range of 7-72 (80% I believe??).

One other point of clarification. The way the Fraser sockeye fishery is managed differs from other Southern BC fisheries, in that it isn't directly managed by DFO. THe Fraser River Panel of the Pacific Salmon Commission manages the in-season openings/closures. DFO is heavily represented on the panel and tech committee, as are First Nations, Americans, commercial fishing interests, and sport fishing interests (formerly by the late great Tom Bird).