Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Back on the water heads up  (Read 2268 times)

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
Back on the water heads up
« on: May 16, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »

....was walking the dog along nicomen/dewdney slough last night......nice quiet evening,some people out in kayaks....a seal looking for a snack....jetski comes screaming by headed upstream.....comes back 15 min later doing donuts in the area where the kayakers and seal were....stops long enough for me to shout that there's  an 8 km limit on the slough.....shouts back did not know and saw now posted signs.....admittedly  the sign that used to be is no longer standing and I am unsure if there is any signage at the launch......whole exchange was polite and he actually returned the launch and loaded up....felt kind of bad being that guy but it's for his safety as well as the safety of others...felt worse when I got home and checked to find limit only applies from dewdney bridge down, no limit between dewdney and deroche.....so I was partly right ....goes to show we all need to check and refresh our knowledge and skills before we head back out for the season..... https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2008-120/page-10.html?wbdisable=true
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

GordJ

Re: Back on the water heads up
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »

I checked on the rules after the CO was handing out speeding tickets at Bedford channel and found that just like roads they have to care enough to put up and maintain correct signage or the reg. is not valid. If the govt. doesn’t care enough to maintain the signage why should we care? And, much like Bedford, the reg was probably instituted when there was a working mill there and never reviewed or rescinded.
This is a merely a bit of background  and I’m not suggesting that anyone go any faster than slow and the safety issue is very important but it is incumbent on the authorities that they have a responsibility to maintain their signage.

hammer

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 07:29:48 PM »

Spoon man,

I still think you were right to say something. The bridge to deroche is the last place someone should be flying around, doing donuts, on a jet ski. Save that for for more bigger water with fewer submerged hazards....an accident waiting to happen

arimaBOATER

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:35:00 PM »

....was walking the dog along nicomen/dewdney slough last night......nice quiet evening,some people out in kayaks....a seal looking for a snack....jetski comes screaming by headed upstream.....comes back 15 min later doing donuts in the area where the kayakers and seal were....stops long enough for me to shout that there's  an 8 km limit on the slough.....shouts back did not know and saw now posted signs.....admittedly  the sign that used to be is no longer standing and I am unsure if there is any signage at the launch......whole exchange was polite and he actually returned the launch and loaded up....felt kind of bad being that guy but it's for his safety as well as the safety of others...felt worse when I got home and checked to find limit only applies from dewdney bridge down, no limit between dewdney and deroche.....so I was partly right ....goes to show we all need to check and refresh our knowledge and skills before we head back out for the season..... https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/sor-2008-120/page-10.html?wbdisable=true
Good man shows ya got "balls" ...that area is very peaceful...seals ..kayakers...jet ski should slow down...go slower much less noise.
Honest to the Good Lord ...let's go back to the 1960's and outlaw technology...except the web ...and modern tv and break thrus in medicine.
Technology keeps increasing to the end of our destruction !!!!
The good old days.......

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2020, 07:19:39 AM »

Wait..... the Dewdney launch is open ?

Spoonman

• Chehalis Canyon Vigilante
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »

Wait..... the Dewdney launch is open ?
.......looks like it....mission kilby chilliwack and allouette should be too.....hydro site says June 1 for stave....now to find someplace open to get new tags for the boat trailer....
member; Jack Daniels Pro-Staff / member;Team Hardcore Old Fart

coldfinger

• always thankful
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 10:57:34 AM »

Can confirm, Allouette launch is open, was there and used it on Thursday. 
Mission launch is open, just walked the dog there, barricades are removed and one trailer in lot.