Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Learn to walk & wade in lower mainland -- newbie  (Read 5622 times)

splenule

Learn to walk & wade in lower mainland -- newbie
« on: October 26, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »

Hi all, I've only been fly-fishing for the past year, lake and beach, but never river.  I'd like to find a quiet non-intimidating river to get the feel of casting & wading in one.  I don't have to catch a ton of fish (and probably wouldn't, at my skill level!).  I don't want to crowd others or inadvertently get into their piece of water, or otherwise unknowingly violate some rule of etiquette.  Any suggestions of where to go?  Thanks. 

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Learn to walk & wade in lower mainland -- newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

okay here is a place that has lots of room, is nice and slow to wade and the fact you should catch at least a couple chum and possibly coho its worth a go.

Nicomen Slough

I would cross the bridge(if your coming from the Mission side and pass by Michaels restaurant) then park directly after the bridge to the right and walk and explore the entire rivers length just wade out and make some casts. You will see fish jumping/rising/swirling quite a bit in there usually
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 03:59:07 PM »

Remember when wading through current, walk down and across. Do not try to fight your way up through current. Particularly if you're on your own, never attempt wading water you're not comfortable in, you can get into trouble in a hurry.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »

actually walking with the current can get you in trouble even faster because you will move faster with the current then you will if go slightly against the current. I always try to go against the current slightly so that i know when i have my footing it isnt going to get swept out from under me. I have lost my footing before because i was going with the current and the current was quick enough i couldnt get my feet firmly planted as well as i could otherwise.

Take your time when your crossing especially when your not experienced, make sure you have solid footing before you take your next step.

also remember if you do get swept away to go feet first down the river
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »

Only wade parts of rivers where if you fall in, you won't get into worse trouble.  Upstream of a fast run, log jam or rapids is a bad idea.  Most of the time when you lose your footing, you just sort of float downstream a couple feet until you can get your footing, no biggie.  IMO tight-fitting neoprene waders are best for beginners because they're pretty durable and you float a bit.  They also keep you warm during the winter.  You'll need a wading jacket as well if you're fishing the rainy season.  Wading jackets allow you a couple seconds of grace when you slip in because they don't let water in through the sleeves and they keep some of the water from coming up the waist.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 06:14:32 PM »

Being a lean and mean angler (160 Lbs.) LOL ....I like to grab a stick that's stout enough to use as a wading staff.  My buddy who weighs about the same me frequently used to lock arms and wade across rivers together.  Saved each other a few times when one of us lost out footing.

In terms of weight it sure helps to be on the heavier side when wading especially when wearing neoprenes that are quite boyant.  I noticed when I switched to breathables about 8 years back that it made wading easier.

Another tip.....when crossing dicey sections of the water tighten your belt so you can just barely breathe so that if you do lose your footing and get swept you won't take on any water.  It'll save your skin!

purple monster

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 06:49:11 PM »

I was shown to use a good walking stick as well, when crossing any river.  It sure help me on the first try.

Lawsch

• Do or do not, there is no try..
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 07:03:04 PM »

I second the idea of wading into the current.  It allows you to remain aware of how powerfull the river is and keep your footing secure before another step.  Also, get a wading staff and ensure you have the right soles for the river bottom, felt doesnt do much on sand and some rocks need some metal studs to bite into the slippery algea and mud on the rocks.

splenule

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:24:39 PM »

Thank you all for your generous advice!

SMo007

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »

Best advice I can give you is - Don't fall.

No, just kidding. This is my first year wading as well and the real best advice I can give you is GO SLOW. Like alot of people have said take your time and make sure you have your footing before you take your next step. For good practice (at least I found it good for myself) walk in faster moving water(not talking about rushing rapids) that comes up to mid shin or below the knee. It will give you a good feeling of what the current will do both with it and against it. I have found the vedder to have alot of different runs of water, and speeds, so you can try some different scenarios. 

funpig

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 11:20:14 AM »

My only advice is be aware that some rivers are tidal.  A few years ago, my buddy and I were fishing the Vedder Canal.  We waded into the middle of the canal to stand on a submerged sand bar to fish a hole.  The tide came in about a foot and half and when we waded back, the water was past our chest.  We filled up the waders with water and shorted out my digital camera.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 08:34:02 PM »

Some good advice has been given on here. Use of a wading belt, and wading stick are good advice. The wading stick can also be used as a means to see how deep a section of water is.  Also if you are not a good swimmer a PFD would also be useful. However, don't feel that because you have waders on that you have to wade in to the water up to your hips.  Most of your fish will be caught by standing in water up to your knees if that. Also as you gain more experience in flyfishing, you will find you can cast farther, and with better control when you are standing on shore, or in shallower water.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 10:33:58 PM »

Don't forget about quicksand. It's out there. It grabs you like a vice. Don't panic work your foot or feet back and forth until you can pull free.

So here is your mental check list:

Never under estimate the force of the water.

Never over estimate your ability to wade.

Never walk backwards.

Keep your belt tight.

Wear a PFD.

Walk slow and on an angle into the current.

Use your wading staff to check the bottom in front of you and help support you in heavy water.

Watch the tide.

Stay out of the silt to avoid quicksand.

Check for solid footing as you move; rocks can be undermined by the current and give way when you step on them.

Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2009, 10:05:07 PM »

Don't forget about quicksand. It's out there. It grabs you like a vice. Don't panic work your foot or feet back and forth until you can pull free.

So here is your mental check list:

Never under estimate the force of the water.

Never wade anywhere you don't have a good plan for getting back from

Never over estimate your ability to wade.

Never walk backwards. Learn how to pivot and turn around smoothly when standing in fast current... its a lifesaver when you've overestimated your wading ability which I still do not infrequently

Keep your belt tight. or wear Freddy Mercury-tight neoprenes.  Seal up the cuffs on the wading jacket and cinch the bottom of the coat tightly.  If you fall in, you'll have up to 5 seconds without water getting in with a decent jacket, also, the jacket won't billow in the current making it tougher to swim.  For wading, its just a good idea to wear tight wading gear, not always ideal for comfort though.

Wear a PFD.

Walk slow and on an angle into the current. Just know that when wading fast water, you will usually end up up to 45* downstream of you intended path.  Plan for that to happen and don't get pushed into somewhere too deep or too fast

Use your wading staff to check the bottom in front of you and help support you in heavy water.

Watch the tide. and general river level on non-tidal systems.  I've had to swim back to the correct shore on the Cap, the Mamquam, the Squamish, the Vedder after the water rose almost imperceptively

Get familiar swimming in wading gear in the summer somewhere safe... practicing while being swept downstream towards a logjam is too late.

Stay out of the silt to avoid quicksand.

Check for solid footing as you move; rocks can be undermined by the current and give way when you step on them.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:11:03 PM by Matt »

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2009, 03:24:45 PM »

okay here is a place that has lots of room, is nice and slow to wade and the fact you should catch at least a couple chum and possibly coho its worth a go.

Nicomen Slough

I would cross the bridge(if your coming from the Mission side and pass by Michaels restaurant) then park directly after the bridge to the right and walk and explore the entire rivers length just wade out and make some casts. You will see fish jumping/rising/swirling quite a bit in there usually

be aware of the tidal influence on water levels