Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: local salt-Aug.18-07  (Read 1802 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
local salt-Aug.18-07
« on: August 18, 2007, 06:02:38 PM »

Today we headed out from Cates in hopes of catching some pinks. Trolled around the crowd at the boat launch for a bit, but the school of fish that seems to have taken residency in the area were pretty tight lipped.  Next we decided to head up to the mouth of the Indian river to try for a bit, a couple of boats were trolling the area but no signs of seals or fish. We then decided to give up on pinks and jig a couple cod, didnt take long to get a couple fish for dinner, one fish was around 1lb the other 5lbs.     

Around Croker island we counted at least six boats fishing in the rockfish conservation area, so if you are planning to do any fishing in the area its always best to have a look at the closed areas on the fisheries website.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
There is NO fishing in a rockfish conservation area, not even for salmon.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: local salt-Aug.18-07
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 06:09:04 PM »

That's a nice rock cod. :)

fishyfish

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 08:42:50 PM »

That is a huge rockcod, I think it stupidly swam out of the conservation zone it had been in for the last 20 years. LOL. What did you catch him on? How deep where you?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 10:04:33 PM by fishyfish »

fishyfish

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 10:03:32 PM »

Where would be the best place to get a map or chart of the Indian Arm so I can try to decipher around all these conservation areas?

gman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »

Nikka in Steveston has charts. I will be fishing North of Campbell River later this week and just finished looking into the Rockfish Conservation Areas in that area. I ended up getting a chart, reading the RCA regs online, and pencilling them onto the chart.  The charts did not show them - I don't know if they will in future. Each chart costs $20. THE RCA info online does include some simple maps that help a bit, but without marking them onto a bigger chart or map its a bit confusing. I'm not sure if there is s cheaper way of going about it...  ???

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 10:55:16 PM »

The fish were caught on a pink buzzbomb in around 200 feet of water. If you look around online you can find a big map of the burrard inlet and indian arm, just use this to cross reference with the dfo maps.

fishyfish

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2007, 12:19:28 AM »

Thankyou