Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where to launch?  (Read 7255 times)

jimstone

where to launch?
« on: July 18, 2012, 03:07:06 PM »

Im a rookie saltwater boater and fisherman but would like to take my dad to the west van shoreline area for cohos tommorrow. wondering about the best (easy) place to launch my boat .I was told the parking at ambleside is poor and spots to park truck and trailer are gone first thing in the a.m. have been advised to get some more experience before going under lions gate in a running tide? leaving new  west at 0900 any suggestions???? boat is a hewescraft 16  thanks  jim

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: where to launch?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »

You can launch at the ramp near the Planetarium in Kits (Vanier Park) and run around Stanley Park.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 04:52:14 PM »

Check the tides for the time you will be fishing there. It can be a pain in the butt fighting strong currents while fishing there. Are you trolling or jigging?
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

jimstone

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 05:15:07 PM »

im trolling with flashers with hoochies and spoons

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:34:31 PM »

http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/eng/station?sid=7795

Big tide change for that area tomorrow so be ready for it. I would be inclined to launch in West Van and fish west of the launch. Tide will be ripping out in the centre between Stanley park and Ambleside. The closer to shore the less the current but keep an eye on the bottom. Should be able to see the fish jumping and stay after them in those areas. The wind can pick up too around noon when the tide will be at it's lowest. My old standby when not buzzbombing was a white hoochie with tinsel skirt. I have to get out there this year and try for them.

jimstone

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 07:24:53 PM »

thanks for the information ,I realize I know very little about tides. where should i launch in west van?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 08:43:14 PM »

When I used to fish the salt years ago we always launched at Burrard and just booted it across to west van
Take the T out of Morton.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »

Ambleside, given it's a week day it might not be that bad. There was parking at Ambleside park before not sure now. I usually use my kayak when fishing there now as my old boat got stolen. You can also get by the bad tide rip area's by staying to the side but I've seen it realy bad there sometimes and I've fished there probably a couple hundred times over the years. That big tide change makes for poopy trolling too so maybe bring some buzzbombs along. Then you can just keep drifting over the good spots where you see the fish jumping.

jimstone

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:01 AM »

the launch at ambleside is not great.Watched a guy with a 19ft bayliner try to launch but there wasn't enough water to get the boat off the trailer and he was already backed too far into the water for a sane person. got my boat in with the help of 3 bystanders but couldn't tie up to the dock because of the low water. this was 2.5 hours before low tide.Waited until 4 hours after low tide to come in and still had a tough go getting it out. the ramp seems extremely shallow  . white hoochies  25 feet = 2 coho

arimaBOATER

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 02:43:19 PM »

The McDonald's Boat Launch on Sea Island is used a lot.
On the very lowest tides boats are launched even though the water is shallow.

Lots of parking.
$12 per launch. Pay machine.

Use the south side of the dock as the pavement is longer than the launch on the northside.

I'd recommend ya take your time going down river to Georgia Straight ( & return up river to the launch )
There can be lots of debris & logs in the river but also some deadheads many of which can be under the surface by a foot or two.

Just a few wks ago a female RCMP officer was at the launch ( 4x4 RCMP veicle ) & she mentioned to me that a boat hit "something" big & two on board hit into the windshield area. Hull was cracked.

If ya are in this river try to stay in the middle.
At the mouth go past the lighthouse then cut at a 45 degree angle in a NW direction.

Steering too soon to starboard when going out ya will be in very very shallow water ( sandbar )

Good advice also is: " Go out on days that has a high tide with little change."
The mouth of the North Fraser or any mouth of a river can be very dangerous in tide changes esp. in a 16 ft boat that ya own.

Also if winds pick up entering or exiting the river can also be risky & being out in the salt waves can get big.

Wear your PFD & have a radio or cell & incase yous need help.

We've turned back 2-3 x at the mouth as the waves were too big & with white caps.

Saying that we have gone out 25-30 x or so from McDonald Beach & up to Horse Shoe Bay ( Howe Sound ) & also Kits Stanley Park & West Van.
High tide days ,low winds, & navigate in the middle of the river at a lower speed & ya should be fine.
Lots of parking as mentioned !!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 02:51:32 PM by A-BOATER »

jimstone

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 03:25:46 PM »

thanks I appreciate any and all advice  jim

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:07:24 PM »

cates park has a good ramp and lots of pay parking for the trailer. easy run to west van unless strong n.w. winds blowing.