Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Carp fishing  (Read 4140 times)

Polaris

Carp fishing
« on: June 28, 2012, 10:31:39 PM »

Want to try fishing for carp on Deer lake.  Any suggestions on tackle, timing, location, technique, etc. much appreciated.

Thanks

gilbey

Re: Carp fishing
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »

Make sure that you bring a slingshot..... ;D

Fillibert

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »

I was thinking the same thing... Just made some boilies, gonna try in the next few days. Use a bottom rig with a short leader. For boilies use 8oz of dry stuff (flour or something) for every egg u put in. For flavouring u can use food extracts or even jello. Roll dough into balls and boil for 2-4 mins. Make sure the water is really hot an keeps boiling when you throw them in.
I have one question though for those that have experience at deer lake. What are the best spots to cast to. I was fishing in a boat the other day with an anchor and had all sorts of bottom surfaces from weeds to mud.
Just don't want my setup to sink too much into weeds or mud making it hard for the fish to find.

Polaris

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:00:14 PM »

I am thinking of casting off the shore, not from a boat.  I know water plants are a concern, so maybe you could suggest a specific place on the shore where the line isn't likely to get hung up.  With the rest, could you please be more specific:
1.  How beefy a rod, how strong a main line, how heavy a weight?
2.  How big does carp get there-how strong a leader, clear or green, what length leader specifically?
3.  By bottom rig, do you mean a terminal weight and a leader going off a bar rig higher up [with a bell for a bite indicator] or a terminal hook with a line going through a sliding weight - egg sinker [and a cork hanging on a loose line as a bite indicator]?
4.  What size hook?
5.  What hours in the day work best for carp?
RE: bait, I have no experience with 'boilies'.
6. Are you saying that boiled dough made of flour, eggs and flavoring is preferable to say live worms or Powerbait?
7.  What flavor do you recommend?
8.  Is coloring needed and if so, what color?
9.  How big must the dough balls be?
10.  How long does it take for that type of bait to be washed off ie: checked and replaced?
11.  Can spinners or flies be effective with carp?

Thanks.

Fillibert

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:00 PM »

Youtube is your friend especially Matt Hayes. To answer your questions
1. You want to use something that can handle at least a steelhead. The heavier the weight the farther you can cast (tip: if you want to cast to the same distance every time use the little clip on the spool and your cast will drop at the same distance every time)
2. I've seen fish in the 20lb range in the spring in the middle of the lake. You can have a weak leader with little drag but carp are smart and like to run to cover so use strong stuff double digits for sure (similar to bass). I've seen them literally wrap the line around rocks a few times and break the line so the less freedom you give them the better. In deer lake they go into the lilly pads. I've seen a guy go swimming after one because it was still hooked but couldn't go anywhere because it was tangled there. Carp feed off the bottom so keep it short so that they don't have to look up (or use a small splitshot a few inches below the hook).
3. Doesn't really matter but make sure the weight can detach if the fish breaks off (sliding weight is good) float is possible but the depth of the bottom is a whole issue.
4.depending on your bait 4 is a good average.
5.U can see them jump and swim anytime (if you see bubbles on the surface it is most likely a carp). But like any fish they feel safer at night.
6. Worms are good too... They are smart so they associate power bait with hooks from years of experience (I'm assuming). You can use balled up bread but boilies don't disintegrate as fast and have lots of flavour (some ppl use peanut butter and jelly sandwich balls)
7.Pineapple is a staple but rod mentioned curry.
8.Doesnt matter
9.Doesn't matter match to hook (but if it's too big they might be weary of it because it's too unnatural and stands out or vice versa)
10. Depends on what u use, boilies can last all day.
11. Spinners very very very rare, they are like water bears, big and massive but don't hunt often and prefer to scavenge. Flys are used in Europe but basically by imitating whatever they chummed the water with which is illegal here so no.
It's mostly a waiting game so bring a chair, extra clothes (if it starts to rain or gets cold at night) food coffee etc.
Buy urself a beeper to detect bites. Bell is ok but less sensitive.

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »

My carp bait that has shrimp in it got mouldy. Can it still catch fish? Keeping it in the freezer to make sure the house doesn't stink.
Someone was here