Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Downrigging Alouette!?  (Read 4622 times)

fishbonkers

Downrigging Alouette!?
« on: June 26, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »

Hey, Everyone,
I am wondering if anyone has downrigged Alouette, and if it is a good way to go. I did read some of the posts about the lake, and would like to get into fishing it more.
What about this time of year? Does it start to taper off as the weather gets warmer? (another reason I am wondering about getting down deep - maybe the fish go down as the water heats up?)
Thanks for any input, guys.

fishgod

Re: Downrigging Alouette!?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 07:44:17 PM »

Whenever I fish Allouette I use downriggers.  Other than fly fishing - its really the only way to cover the water column  and  target trout and Kokanee with light tackle.  I find the distance from the downrigger cable to the tackle (drop back) is critical to success.  If you're familiar with the 120 ft rule ( 20ft down and 100 ft back) the deeper you go the less drop back required - You have some idea.  This works well for trout with a worm, fly or flatfish behind a small willow leaf troll.

I started following this pattern there about 10 years ago with moderate success.  Since then I have focused more specifically on targeting Kokanee using small dodgers and initially had decent success using cured, died corn behind a wedding ring with about 30 inches of leader to a small dodger.  You are correct the Kokanee do go deeper as the sun gets higher and brighter in the sky.  A good depth finder is very helpful in locating school depth and therefore increasing chance of success. 

In the last several years I have been experimenting with using voltage as a means of attracting the fish with a Scotty blackbox.  750mV. Seems to be about the best I've found so far.  This coupled with scent applied to the dodger and using a Berkeley gulp maggot or fire corn for bait also increases chance of success.  The real benefit of using voltage is I can get away with a 'drop back' of only 6 or 7ft - this is even when fishing at only 20ft of depth below the boat.  A short drop back like this allows you to stack two rods on each downrigger without the risk of tangling during the tight turns that seem to trigger strikes.

If there is one constant, it is that there is always more to learn - new tackle and methods to try - enjoy the journey.  The days you have everything dialed in are pretty satisfying - and when you don't it's still a beautiful lake and a great day on the water.
Always pray to the fishgods everyday.

Dr. Backlash

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:23 PM »

Sure, you can definitely use downriggers - its a really deep lake in the middle.  Just keep in mind that along the shorelines there's quite a few dead heads, and your gear could get hung up pretty easily - some shallow shoreline areas extend fairly far out into the middle of the lake (Gold Creek for instance), so watch your depth sounder.  This time of year absolutely sucks because of the boat traffic - if you don't believe me, just see for yourself - there can be hundreds of boats out there this time of year, and the lineups to load your boat can be very lengthy, especially if theres a lot of people that suck at loading their boats.   I would avoid that lake like the plague right now.  Best time to go there is spring and fall for sure.  

Polaris

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 10:26:39 PM »

1. Could you suggest a source where I could learn more about downrigging?

2. What spring and autumn months are the best for fishing on Alouette; would you consider winter fishing there?

3. Do you feel boat traffic in summer makes fishing of a shore relatively more productive?

Thanks.

fishgod

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 07:13:10 PM »

Ok
#1) there are a number of books and articles out there I think if you search for dick pool you will find some interesting reading or google protroll black box or Scotty downriggers both websites offer a place to start.  Also any articles written by Bill Hertzog - he wrote the tips articles for salmon, trout and steelheader magazine for many years and did some excellent articles on kokanee fishing for them with a downrigger  in the last 4-5 years.  You might be able to get back issues on their website.

#2) seasonal changes include smaller fish in spring that tend to be shallow early and late in the day, in summer bright sun and boat traffic drives the fish deep and away from high traffic areas, later August early sept. fish are more aggressive and more mature.  Mid-day bright sun with a good breeze makes for a good Kokanee bite - that is most afternoons on Allouette.

Hope this helps

fishgod

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »

Brook Trout

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:34:03 PM »

Don't have experience at alouette but with any kokanee fishery downriggers are almost a must. Usually they are found between 20-40 feet deep in the middle of deep lakes.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 08:26:26 PM »

Actually a two or three ounce weight will work. Just sucks if the kokes are smallish which they are in Alouette. Also down planers work OK. Early and late season fishing you don't even need a weight at that lake. But at other times best to get out the downrigger and learn how to use it. I don't bother with worrying about voltages on my line. Just scent on the lure of choice.  :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Polaris

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 11:14:12 AM »

1. What would you recommend for scent and lure?
2. Given the above discussion on boat noise, do you feel that fishing of a shore in summer is a lost cause or can a fly/float/spinner still be effective early in the morning and late in the day?

fishgod

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »

As far as scent goes i've had success with Pro-cure "Kokanee special super gel" or Pautzke's "gel Krill", I normally apply them to the dodger, spoon or blades of a troll.  Any oils will wear off in 10-15 min, the gels will stay on for a whole trolling session 3-4hrs.

Personally I think Kokanee are more prone to spooking due to boat noise - they will go deep and still bite just not as aggressively.  Other trout like cutthroat and rainbows will not be as negatively influenced.  As long as you are away from the 'noise' - fish the creek mouths or mainly the west side of the lake as the boats tend to run up the east, middle of the lake.

For targeting fish other than Kokanee - use baits like worms, or powerbait seems to get bit more often.  Hope this helps - have fun.