Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing in the dark  (Read 20221 times)

ziggypal

Fishing in the dark
« on: June 26, 2012, 01:42:22 PM »

I just had a few questions.

Are you allowed to fish at night in BC?
In both freshwater and tidal?
If so, I guess bait would be the best way to do it, due to the low visibility!?

Nitroholic

Re: Fishing in the dark
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:43:28 PM »

why would you want to

ziggypal

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 03:57:26 PM »

I'd like to fish the hightide at the cap, but this week seems like its gonna be in the middle of night. I just want to know if I'd be breaking any laws. And tips from any people who have done it.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 04:00:29 PM »

Fishing is prohibited at night (one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise) in certain fisheries and they are usually indicated in the regulations. In general, it is allowed and most night time closures apply to freshwater salmon fisheries. For example, a browse through Region 2's freshwater salmon fishing regulations, you'll notice that "day light hours only" applies to systems such as Chilliwack River, Harrison River, etc.

Night time fishing can be pretty fun for species such as sturgeon, carp and other coarse fish. Trout fishing in lakes can also be excellent a couple of hours after sunset.

ziggypal

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »

Thank you. I will reread the freshwater synopsis. Do you know if this applies to crabbing and/or fishing for salmon in the tidal waters too?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:18:43 PM »

i know you cant crab at night in indian arm,as long as you dont shine lights into the water mouth of the cap is ok for salmon at night,full moon would help to make the spinner shine. not my idea of fun.

buzzbomb

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:29:43 PM »

Night time fishing can be pretty fun for species such as sturgeon, carp and other coarse fish. Trout fishing in lakes can also be excellent a couple of hours after sunset.

In some areas of the US they fish mostly at night due to extreme heat in daytime.  I‘ve had good carp fishing at night, and walleye (which have great night vision) are supposed to bite readily in the dark, as well as burbot, though the few times I‘ve tried for walleye or burbot at night weren‘t productive.  I know it does work for others though.  Down in Tampa Bay the guys who fish the piers fish at night to catch the tides all the time.
5% Alc./Vol.

ziggypal

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 11:09:33 AM »

Thanks for the info guys. I can't find anything saying you can't fish or crab at night in the tidal waters. And as for the capilano freshwater it doesn't say anything anywhere in the regs or synopsis that you can't fish at night. Please refer me to anything that would state otherwise, if anybody knows.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:27:56 PM »

why would you want to

You have obviously never fished at night.  I have only ever night fished on lakes, and it's one of the most incredible experiences.  Every sense is magnified in the dark, and kicking around in a float tube or rowing a small boat around at night is one of the most peaceful things you can imagine.  And when a fish hits - forget about it!  The sensation is unreal, and the excitement is incredible.

Tex - loves nightfishing for trout

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »

You have obviously never fished at night.  I have only ever night fished on lakes, and it's one of the most incredible experiences.  Every sense is magnified in the dark, and kicking around in a float tube or rowing a small boat around at night is one of the most peaceful things you can imagine.  And when a fish hits - forget about it!  The sensation is unreal, and the excitement is incredible.

Tex - loves nightfishing for trout
Yep. On moonlit nights, a leechy type pattern, fished near the surface, casts a very appetizing sillouette when viewed below from the fish's perspective. White Lake can fish well this way.

clujalolo

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »

why would one want to fish the high tide? just a question, not trying to be smart :p

I always thought the low tide was ideal?

Let us know how it is, if u end up going...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 07:11:55 PM by clujalolo »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 07:43:04 PM »

ziggypal is referring to the non-tidal portion (stream) of the system. A large incoming tide would bring new fish into the river, possibly resulting in better fishing. If you are fishing the mouth or Ambleside Beach, then a low tide would be more advantageous.

clujalolo

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 10:43:25 PM »

ziggypal is referring to the non-tidal portion (stream) of the system. A large incoming tide would bring new fish into the river, possibly resulting in better fishing. If you are fishing the mouth or Ambleside Beach, then a low tide would be more advantageous.

Yeh thats whatbi was thinking at ambleside beach, best would be at low tide

ziggypal

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »

Yes. I would like to fish in the non tidal portion of the cap, under the hwy 1 bridge. I'll probably give it a try Friday or Saturday. I'll let you guys know of my experience if I manage to do it. Thanks for the posts and responses guys.

SLIK

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2012, 12:11:33 AM »

You want an experience?

Go after some winter time burbot. Wait till there's a full moon and some fresh snow. You wanna get away from it all, go walk out into the middle of a frozen lake with the moonlight to guide you (safely of course, check your ice!). Then sit around for a few hours and jig for them like you would a cod.

Got my girlfriend into burbot fishing this year and she loves it. First time out she was very nervous to say the least and so surprised when I drilled a hole and water came out. Then the eery feeling when you let your line down the little hole and it keeps going and going. Nothing like hanging out in a lawnchair on a lake in the middle of the night. And the feast afterwards is some of the best tasting fish available:)