Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: circle hook questions  (Read 1624 times)

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
circle hook questions
« on: May 28, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »

Hi, I'm thinking of using circle hooks for trout, salmon & steelhead. Any tips I might want to know? thanks!
Someone was here

Fillibert

Re: circle hook questions
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

I can't seem to find circle hooks smaller than no 4 which might b too big for trout. Also I heard that sickle hooks are a hi rid between Circe and J hooks so u can use them both ways

samw

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »

I tried them last year.  Here's how they worked out for me.  When I used them to fish for pink salmon at the end of buzz bombs, they worked really well.  I landed 100% (small sample size, excludes fish lost from snapped lines).  When I used them to catch chum salmon with just the hook and bait under a float, it didn't work as well and I landed maybe 10-15% of them. In both cases, I used them as directed which means I didn't set the hook since circle hooks are supposed to be self setting.  However, more experimenting is needed since the large bait that I used could have interfered with the hook from self setting.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:18:37 PM by samw »

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »

-- come circle hooks are sywash but in some ways that defeats the purpose of not deep hooking.
-- I use sickle for kokanee... they are popular on many USA made kokanee lures... I think  higher  % landed over J hook

bobrunning

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:29:55 PM »

Cabelas sells Mustad #6,8 and 10 circle hooks plus octopus circles in smaller sizes by Gamakatsu. I have had more success with the latter style when slip bobbering with worms for trout and have pretty good luck using sickles also.