Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: sand shrimp, the search continues  (Read 3807 times)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
sand shrimp, the search continues
« on: January 06, 2008, 10:16:13 PM »

I know that the topic of finding sand shrimp in white rock has been beaten to death in the past (i searched) but I have been out 3 times now and have yet to find even 1 burrow! I live in white rock so its not far for me to go to the beach but I'm ready to give up here ??? I have searched east beach, west beach, both sides of the pier, I have looked in puddles, and even followed the tide out once. Either I just suck or there just isn't any shrimps out there these days. I havent tried Crecent beach yet though... Are there any forum members still getting sand shrimp in white rock?

Please Help lol :-\

allwaysfishin

Re: sand shrimp, the search continues
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:38:02 PM »

try the place you mentioned that you haven't tried yet..... and if you know where the dog park is...... you are getting warm  ;)

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 12:05:49 PM »

Shovels tend to beat up the bugs too much....pumps are really the only way...crushed/dead ghost shrimp turn bad really fast and wont stay on the hook more than a few casts.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »

I will soon be searching the beaches near UBC for a few bugs. Anyone ever pump them out this way?

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »

I will soon be searching the beaches near UBC for a few bugs. Anyone ever pump them out this way?

Try spanish bank at low tide.  Lots of mud/sand flats there with plenty of shrimp.

Oh, and you could try wreck beach...  You might get funny looks carrying a big pump out there though  ::)

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 03:24:40 PM »

BigCoho do you use a pump or do you shovel? If shoveling these creatures can burrow quickly and a pump might be an idea.

I built 2 pumps out of ABS pipe, 1 for me and 1 for the GF so she can help lol

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 03:25:00 PM »

try the place you mentioned that you haven't tried yet..... and if you know where the dog park is...... you are getting warm  ;)

thanks

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »

Keep in mind that your limit is 50 per person and I would think if you are using 2 pumps, each person would need a license. 

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 05:06:42 PM »

yes, I am well aware of the regs. (I might be new to the forum but I'm not a nitwit) Thanks for the concern though, we both have tidal licenses  ;)

brood dude

• i do it with both hands!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 07:25:31 PM »

i will only go out pumping when the tide is 5 feet or less.anything above that and it could be a waste of time. they are way easier to get on the bottom of the ebb.

i have tried many different ways to keep these guys fresh.i even went as far as putting a bunch in a 5 gallon pale with sand and some weeds. i kept them in the chuck and they still got soft within days! the  bottom line is i will only go and pump about 20 - 30 just enough for 2 back to back days of fishing!

good luck
girls suck throw rocks at them!

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 07:32:32 PM »

i remember seeing this one guy on the thompson 2 years ago, he had 2 big bait boxes on and i asked how much roe he was packing, when he opened them up there were atleast 50 ghost shirmp crawling around in there. I use them once in a while but my dad is a huge believer in them, usually the first and most confident bait he fishes
Fish killer 101

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 10:35:29 PM »

spanish banks has a good supply of them, i dont usually take that many, mabey 20
Fish killer 101