Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing Rod?  (Read 2741 times)

rod dance

Fishing Rod?
« on: March 28, 2005, 12:17:54 PM »

if anyone can give me a help please . i'd greatly appreciate it.
I currently own a 8~12lb fly rod. a large bottom jigging 25~50 bottom fishing rod.
a 15~25 spinning rod. but i'm lookin into purchasing a baby spinning rod around 5~12lbs just for Trout fishing in the lower fraser(richmond). what do i have to look for next time when i head to Nikka, or Berry's Bait ?
is a medium-light rod(6~15lb) good enought for Bull Trout Fishing with a spoon/ spinner ?
please help  :'(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing Rod?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 12:35:58 PM »

For bull trout or just using it in general in Richmond, I would go as low as 4 to 10lb test. Down here, there is a lack of current so bringing in big fish would not be a big issue. If you plan to use the same rod for coho fishing etc in the Vedder or other streams, then I would recommend a rod that's 6 to 15lb test.

When you go to Berry's, take a look at some of the entry level Quantum rods just in front of the fly lines. You can pick up some light to ultralight rods for around 30 to 40 dollars. For the medium action rod, go for something that is more durable. Look for one made by Shimano or Fenwick. The price is one step up but the rod would last longer.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 01:25:14 PM »

I own several 6 foot ultralites that I use for cutthroat and coho. I personally run 6lb line because it provides excellent casting as well as sensitivity.However, when I say I use it for coho this is mostly in sloughs where there is relativly no current or chums. The vedder would be completly different.
Actions speak louder than words.

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 02:22:51 PM »

I have a great little rod that I would like to sell (its brand new).  I will email you the details when I get home.