Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shore fishing  (Read 6399 times)

habzrule

• ====00=====
    • Make great money online in your spare time
Shore fishing
« on: March 26, 2005, 05:54:24 PM »

Hi all, long time no post, hope everyone had a great winter!

Drove up to Rice Lake today to try my luck...never been before and read about it in the reports.  Brought the dog...found out by the many signs that dogs are not allowed at the lake.  So no fishing for me, but I did bring the dog back to the truck and leave her there for a few minutes so I could check out the lake. Think I saw the long wooden dock the gentlemen was talking about who posted the Rice Lake info.  Couldn't quite figure out how to get there but will check it again when I am without dog and have more time.  Anyways, I'd like to take a drive again tomorrow and find somewhere to fish from shore...anybody have any suggestions where they think the best place to go within 1 hour drive from Vancouver?  I may go and check Rice again but was wondering if there was anywhere else not too far.  I read about Jones Lake and Cultis lake but they are a bit too far for me tomorrow...

http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
Re: Shore fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 07:12:35 PM »

vedder-in chiliwack,just go to the lower section and try your luck,is about an hour drive from vancouver,but if go upper river,it might takes about half an hour more..tight line

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 09:20:26 PM »

That wooden dock is probably the easiest shore access to the lake for fishing. Further north there are a few points on the east side where you can fish off too. The trail to the wooden dock is fairly easy to find, just follow the signs.

No Vedder at least for tomorrow, the river is blown out.

Here's today's Rice Lake Report:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6329.0

Not too many shore fishing locations near Vancouver right now. You may want to try the Fraser for catching and releasing dollies. Maybe the Alouette River, Sasamat Lake, Buntzen Lake, Trout Lake in Vancouver.

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 09:36:07 PM »

Thanks for the info!   Maybe I'll just try Buntzen Lake then    ;D
http://members.shaw.ca/consumerforce/index.html : Best way to make some extra cash for fishing

habzrule

• ====00=====
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 08:38:29 AM »

Can't seem to find Rice Lake or Buntzen Lake in the 04/05 Freshwater Guide...anyone know why this is?  No regulations??  This is good for me because it will give me a chance to try out my new 10 inch trout spinner with 4 sets of quadruple barbed treble-hook clusters.   I usually load up the hooks with fresh Capilano Steelhead fins as I find they attract char pretty good.   

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 06:03:34 PM »

This is good for me because it will give me a chance to try out my new 10 inch trout spinner with 4 sets of quadruple barbed treble-hook clusters.   I usually load up the hooks with fresh Capilano Steelhead fins as I find they attract char pretty good.   

10 inch trout spinners???  :o thats one big @$$ spinner. I dont think you are supposed to keep any steelhead from the cap.....and i dont think you'll need treb hooks for trout, the limits for trout is 2 per day.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 07:31:03 PM »

I belieave treble hooks are banned from use in local lakes.  Single barbless hooks only.  Go look up www.sharphooks.com and look up their road maps for detailed routes.. ;)

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »

Can't seem to find Rice Lake or Buntzen Lake in the 04/05 Freshwater Guide...anyone know why this is?  No regulations??  This is good for me because it will give me a chance to try out my new 10 inch trout spinner with 4 sets of quadruple barbed treble-hook clusters.   I usually load up the hooks with fresh Capilano Steelhead fins as I find they attract char pretty good.   
:o :o :o :o

About 3 different infractions there!  ;D (I know you're not serious!)
 -triple (or in this case, mulitple) hooks
 -a dead Cap steelhead
 -using finfish for bait

I think Buntzen is under the basic regs for Region 2, meaning 2 fish over 30 cms etc. If an area isnt stated in the regs, you just follow the regs for the Region the area is in. If there are special regulations or closures for a river/lake/stream it will be indicated specifically in the regs.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

reach

• Yard work can wait.
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 03:29:44 PM »

Actually, barbed treble hooks are OK in lakes.  The single barbless requirement is for streams & sloughs only.

However it is more sporting to use single barbless everywhere.

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 04:50:17 PM »

Treble hooks are a bit of an overkill.  They can kill fish even if you intend to release them.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 05:14:36 PM »

with the amount of pinks coming this fall into the fraser.....you will not need treble hooks to catch fish. I haven't used a treble hook in iver ten years salt or fresh and still catch my share of fish quite easily. Throw your trebles away cause they kill fish(except bass).