Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: AHHH HORSE$HIT !  (Read 9998 times)

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
AHHH HORSE$HIT !
« on: March 22, 2005, 07:28:43 PM »

Committee predicts Fraser River sockeye fishery will close for 2008 season

Dennis Bueckert
Canadian Press

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA (CP) -- One of the Canada's richest fisheries, the Fraser River sockeye salmon run, will likely be shut down for the 2008 season due to a sharp decline in spawning stocks that may be related to climate change.

In a unanimous report released Tuesday, the Commons fisheries committee suggests rising water temperatures are an important factor in "a major ecological disaster."

It also blames overfishing for the low spawning numbers last summer, and suggests the Fisheries Department must increase enforcement and research efforts.

The committee says 1.6 million fish, one-third of the total run, went missing in 2004.

"These tragically low numbers mean that there will probably not be enough sockeye salmon to support commercial, recreation or aboriginal fishing on the Fraser in 2008."

It estimates losses in the commercial fishery alone at $78 million in 2008.

Based on the four-year life cycle of the sockeye, "the forecast for 2012 and 2016 is bleak."

The report makes no longer-term predictions, but committee members noted similarities to that of the Atlantic cod, which still hasn't recovered from a collapse many expected to be temporary.

The committee has issued three previous reports on the sockeye and all its recommendations have been ignored, said New Democrat Peter Stoffer. He said the committee wants answers within 60 days.

"We cannot come back and do another report down the road because there may not be any salmon left for anyone."

The report quotes extensively from the testimony of Anthony Farrell, a fisheries expert from the University of British Columbia, who said high water temperatures in 2004 likely played a major role in fish mortality.

Farrell's research has shown that high temperatures promote infections among fish, increase daily energy use, lead to exhaustion and compound the effects of other stress factors.

The committee says higher water temperature alone can't account for the missing fish but, combined with other factors such as increased fishing, it is likely to have caused significant mortality.

"We know that water temperatures in the Fraser River are the warmest they've been in 60 years and that's a real serious problem," Conservative MP Gerald Keddy told a news conference.

The report draws no conclusions about whether the warmer water is a result of global warming but calls for more research on the issue.

"If in fact it is climate change and if river temperatures continue to increase it's a further argument for more conservation," said Tom Wappel, the Liberal committee chairman.

The report says "fishing pressure of any kind during periods of record high water temperature should be avoided."

"Clearly it was a combination of factors and I suspect environmental factors were significant as well but we heard lots of testimony from people witnessing lack of enforcement," said Conservative Randy Kamp.

Aboriginal fishing has been a major source of contention on the Fraser and the report says Fisheries officers may have been overly cautious in enforcement regulations because they feared confrontation.

But the committee heard testimony from a veteran fisheries officer that it would be impossible for First Nations fishers to harvest and market the volume of fish that are missing.

Arnie Narcisse, chairman of the B.C. Aboriginal Fisheries Commission, said the report contains a lot of "anti-Indian sentiment."

"Every time there's missing fish the finger is naturally pointed our way," he said in an interview.

"I'm sick and tired of the my smelly socks constantly pointed our way by the other sectors."

Will_CARP

• I love fishing!
Re: AHHH HORSE$HIT !
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 07:59:58 PM »

Unfortunate, but we all saw it coming sooner than later.  Too bad its had come down to the near extinction of the sockeye before anything happens :( :'(

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 08:07:20 PM »

They should shut it down right now for the next five years and let it rebuild itself and then open it
under a better structured program. It would'nt kill us to slow down (stolen) and maybe then we won't obliterate a whole species, in time.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 08:27:01 PM »

yeah for randy kamp, hope my email paid off
plus there are alot off out spoken people in his riding
on both sides lol
cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Robert

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 08:38:41 PM »

Shut it down completely for a few years at least- to let the runs rebuild cuz it's only going to get worse if they don't.  Especially with the native fishery on the Fraser, they don't really care about us sports fishermen,that's obvious, they just want the fish mo matter what.  They'll do anything to get em cuz they're allowed.  They should have some sort of restrictions too, it's not fair.

Robert

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 08:47:04 PM »

Too late for the DFO >:(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 10:08:32 PM »

Too late for the DFO >:(

I would like to see any of you to take over a FOC manager or officer's position for just one day. What's with all the whine? If there is a time that FOC needs the support of anglers to make things better, it is now. You have two choices:

1) Continue to point fingers at each group that utilize the resource and make the life of those who manage it difficult so we get our "fair" share of catch.

2) Forget what took place in the last couple of years, focus on rebuilding the stock and fishery by working cooperatively with FOC and other groups that share a common interest.

Pick one.

It's easy to sit on the sideline to criticize, but not so easy when you dip your hands in there.

canoe man

• Old Timer
  • and awaaaaaaaay we go!
    • brandywine marine
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 10:30:51 PM »

you are right rod but memories are hard to forget thats why there memories
continuing to point is fruitless but we do it in hopes that our voices maybe heard
but now on the eve that it LOOKS like it may of been heard
what is OUR next step
what do we do to help the rebuilding

but what ever you do , do not forget
thats when we keep making the same mistakes

cnm
president of the HANEY HOOKERS SOCIETY

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 10:51:50 PM »

2) Forget what took place in the last couple of years, focus on rebuilding the stock and fishery by working cooperatively with FOC and other groups that share a common interest.

What happens if one user group decides not to participate and continues fishing 24/7 ?

kermode58

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »

Yeah shut down the sockeye fishery in 08. Now with the river closed who will be there to monitor the illegal native netting.Rod with all due respect the problem is native over fishing. The native community depends and relies on the monies they  bring in from the sale of these ill gottin gains.The report states that these fish meet a wall of death. so many nets that the probability of sufficient escapement is unlikely.I get pretty fired up about this whole issue but until our native brothers see the severity of their deeds or stringent enforcement is implemented the future of the Fraser sockeye is in ultimate peril.I personally would not care giving up a few years of sockeye fishing to ensure stock rebuilding, but if the WALL OF DEATH remains what is the point.

Gord
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2005, 11:37:19 PM »

You're right. The word "forget" is misused here. How about, put it aside, but still remember the mistake, but focus on the challenges ahead?

Yep, we know who did it. The sportfishermen can continue to voice what has happened, the first nations can continue to deny it, not so constructive in the end. It seems like when it comes to this fishery, there is a whole lot of finger-pointing, not a whole lot of recommendation and solution.

In a few weeks from now, the sportfishing advisory board and FOC will be meeting with these same individuals who we are accusing to go over what implementations need to be taken to ensure this year's management goes more smoothly. I don't think it would go so well if I open up my recommendations by first telling all where the fish went last year.

kermode58

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 06:32:27 AM »

that's fine to speak diplo-speak Rod but the problem is everyone keeps pussy footing  around the issue.Time for real enforcement end of story. If the natives do not subside this type of fishing practice all the conservation methods are for not. Keeping quiet about what goes on that river has been the problem.DFO needs teeth. The politicians can no longer be afraid of offending the natives. Enforce the law or the Fraser will be devoid of salmon.
After thousands of years the salmon have finally met their match. The natives WALL OF DEATH

Gord
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy
HERE fishy,fishy,fishy

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 10:01:50 AM »

THIS FISHERY HAS TURNED IN2 A TOTAL GONG SHOW, HOW ABOUT LAST YEARS DECISION TO CLOSE DOWN SOCKEYE WHILE KEEPING THE SPRING FISHERY OPEN ! WHAT THE HELL IS THE POINT OF THAT ? THESE IDIOTS GO OUT TARGETING SPRINGS BUT MEAN WHILE STILL HOOK IN2 SOCKEYE AND ABUSE THEM WHILE MAKING AN ATTEMPT TO RELEASE ! THESE MORONS GET MAD THAT @ THE SOCKEYE CLOSURE AND TAKE IT OUT ON THE POOR FISH, NOT TO MENTION THE WATER TEMPERATURE OF THE FRASER BY THEN THAT KEEPS SOCKEYE FROM ENTERING THE FRASER RIVER SYSTEM, BECAUSE THE WATER TEMPERATURE IS TOO HIGH ! :-\

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 10:15:30 AM »

It's pretty silly isnt it Bonk...if you want springs, put aside the flossing gear and use bar rods! Almost 0 chance of hooking sockeye that way, catch springs and the river remains open.  ::)

Rodney is very right. If we all want to have a resource that is renewable and avaliable for all, we all need to work together. This will include putting aside the past, but remembering it to ensure past problems do not keep occuring.

Those who do not learn history run the risk of doing it all over again.

As for this 'anti-indian' garbage in the report. Well, the report has determined a factor in the missing fish was native fishing. It is not bashing natives, IT IS STATING A FACT. Oh boo hoo if you cant handle it and have to resort to calling it something that might get bleeding heart types on your side while at the same time scaring those who want to deal with this problem with the idea that they will be called 'racist'.

If this report stated that sport fishing was the blame (if ever possible) I would be equally concerned. If over fishing by commercials was the problem, Id be up in arms about them too. It is the fish Im concerned about. I dont care who is destroying the stocks, I dont want the stocks destroyed so Ill battle who ever is responsible.

This time, a big one is native fishing. I saw it with my own eyes the drift nets going down the river and the non-stop activity at the Cheam Landing Meat Plant. What I saw myself was a lot of fish in nets, and I wasnt on the river very much.

In my mind, it is racist to hide or ignore a fact instead of speaking up and calling it what it is.
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »

# 1: as pointed out, but not absorbed by all: the missing sockeye in 2004 will not affect other years

#2: we should be happy that DFO is talking of shutting down 2008 and 4 year cycles there after (we are all in favour of protecting stocks RIGHT)

#3: this release acknowledges that DFO needs to step up efforts on enforcement...this is huge regardless of what cycle is strong or weak.

#4: snow packs in central/northern bc are good, hence water flow in the fraser should not be as large a concern this year

2004 was a big mess but some good can come of it.  If enforcement efforts pick up, I think that will be a very large portion of the problem addressed.

Keep in mind that unlike cod, salmon have a safety net in that there is only certain windows which are ideal for harvesting them (unlike cod on the grand banks that got pounded on in one smal geographic).  Salmon are strong and resilient; they will come back, especially with a little care from people who access and protect the resource.