Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hungry eagles on the Vedder  (Read 6447 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Hungry eagles on the Vedder
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 01:30:48 PM »

Say what? :D  You obviously don't know me.

I don't know you, and I'm sorry if my posts came off as offensive. I was not trying to insinuate that you where a poacher or anything like that.

As to assisting "Mother Nature", sad to think what the salmonid numbers would be like today on the C-V if we had declined to intervene (think off channel refugia, spawning and rearing channels, Chilliwack River hatchery, Culus Lake sockeye) when populations began crashing.

Yes. Imagine the population boom of eagles that occurred when we started augmenting the natural run of fish and therefore increasing the overall food availability.

wizard

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 02:15:00 PM »

don't know about now with the high water, but early last week while walking on south side noticed alot of alive and dead cohos in a back, side channel...lots of eagles around them, none of which looked too hungry to me.  they could've gone down and eaten as much as they liked.  Point is, although it looks like there's not alot around for them to eat, there is.  Keep in mind, they're scanvengers as much as they are predators.

wizard

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »

btw, it's no coincidence that wherever there are ducks, eagles are close by. 
although good hearted to want to make sure eagles have something to eat,  they definitely don't need handouts to get them by.  they're not helpless panhandlers, lol.

roeman

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »

Nothing wrong with the idea, but.....

Right from the regs...
It is illiegal to waste your catch.....
Next thing there will be a guy on the vedder killing a steelhead, cutting it open and letting it float down the river to feed the eagles. That is no different then taking a fish out of the freezer.
Are you fishin or catchin

newflyguy

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:49:16 PM »

Eagles are scavengers.

they are indeed.  They would much rather find or steel food than catch it themselves.

yamadirt 426

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:19 AM »

Feed them your left overs.  ;) Not a problem. Some will bitch about anything and fear monger the rest.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 08:37:09 AM »

Hmm, hummingbird feeders ( now year round ???), seed sticks for juncos and chickadees, suet for Stellar Jays and Flickers, etc,etc.  Why is that OK but feeding predators not so?
Problem is Dion, mother nature let down a few species this year, big time.  I'm not suggesting this be common practice ... just tide these birds over this period of little food.

Illegal?  see above.  Would love to that contested. 

As long as that eagle was going after a hatchery steelhead i say fair game  ;)

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 08:44:43 AM »

If i ever see a guy being led away in handcuffs on the vedder i will yell "how's the eagle feeding program going Dave" LOL

likely

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »

i can.t remember seeing so many eagles on the river especialy juvenisles they can.t be doing that bad ;D

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:09:38 PM »

If i ever see a guy being led away in handcuffs on the vedder i will yell "how's the eagle feeding program going Dave" LOL
Thanks for your concern k.c. ;)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 12:13:50 PM »

i can.t remember seeing so many eagles on the river especialy juvenisles they can.t be doing that bad ;D
What do you suppose they are eating likely?

likely

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 01:08:41 PM »

as dogbreath said they are scavengers. they will almost eat anything dead or alive ;D
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 01:14:16 PM by likely »

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 03:25:19 PM »

I'll weigh in here.

I agree with Dave..
If there are Eagles going to the dump for food they are obviously finding food elsewhere because the NEED to.
You don't think us letting them feed on OUR garbage at the dump is interfering or in ANYWAY different to feeding them expired fish/meat in your freezer?

The argument of "let mother nature do her thing" is BS especially with all the dumps and trash around.
They are getting "help" from us no matter what, so it may as well be natural meat rather than garbage.

fisher man

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2011, 08:11:16 PM »

I saw that interview on the news about the eagles at the dump.They said there's 1300 there and when they interviewed the local guy he said that on average there's usually 8-9 hundred.In reality that's not devestatingly off of the norm.Bad year yes,and the eagles are sourcing out other options,but starving,no.
Why don't we have an eagle shoot to balance out the chum population.Kidding.I would say let nature take it's course but unfortunately humans are involved.