Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: lafarge poachers  (Read 10695 times)

fishingnewb

Re: lafarge poachers
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 08:33:54 PM »

Just a last comment on the original statement of Non-English speaking poachers.  The main reason I find it offensive, is that the crux of the statement seemed to be blaming Non-English speaking poachers for no fish in Lafarge.  I mean if you had a couple of bad experiences, I can understand you wanting to vent your frustration on THOSE particular experiences, but discrimination perpetuates when you start to generalize groups of people based on the actions of a few.  I won't argue the fact that there are Non-English speaking poachers and that they impact our waters (so there's an element of truth), but I find the statement ("whats the point in stocking a lake to encourage inner city fishing when all you get is a bunch of non English speaking(when you try to talk to them) poachers saying no understand") grossly offensive and it only perpetuates discrimination.  Anyhow, it's water under the bridge and I'll give Britguy the benefit of the doubt and accept his apology.

Rod, I still need some clarification on the fish limits / poaching issue.  Is catching fish for your friend, who has a license but doesn't have his limit (while you have yours) considered poaching?  I find this difficult to understand, because I thought it was just normal.  When my friends and I fish out in the salt, we don't even consider individual limits.  We always consider boat limits based on the number of people and licenses in the boat.  For fresh water, I just find this confusing, since what constitutes it as your fish (your fishing rod?  landing it?  does it apply to a group of friends on the shore?).  I can understand the etiquette part and it might aggravate people, but with a put and take lake, I never thought anyone would even care.  Also, I'm not talking about bonking the fish and having over 4 dead fish with you...  I'm talking about having a live trout in the net and giving it to your friend (who doesn't have 4 and has a valid license) to do with as he wants...  bonk or release.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 09:01:51 PM »

Rod, I still need some clarification on the fish limits / poaching issue.  Is catching fish for your friend, who has a license but doesn't have his limit (while you have yours) considered poaching?  I find this difficult to understand, because I thought it was just normal.  When my friends and I fish out in the salt, we don't even consider individual limits.  We always consider boat limits based on the number of people and licenses in the boat.  For fresh water, I just find this confusing, since what constitutes it as your fish (your fishing rod?  landing it?  does it apply to a group of friends on the shore?).  I can understand the etiquette part and it might aggravate people, but with a put and take lake, I never thought anyone would even care.  Also, I'm not talking about bonking the fish and having over 4 dead fish with you...  I'm talking about having a live trout in the net and giving it to your friend (who doesn't have 4 and has a valid license) to do with as he wants...  bonk or release.

Once you have killed your limit, you cannot kill another fish for an angler nearby. If you have killed your limit, hooked another fish, hand the rod to another angler who then proceeds to land the fish, that fish will be part of that angler's kill. That being said, it's not something that I practice as I do not take charity fish ;D and believe those who fish with me should hook their own fish, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of fishing in the first place.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 09:47:06 PM »

Once you have killed your limit, you cannot kill another fish for an angler nearby. If you have killed your limit, hooked another fish, hand the rod to another angler who then proceeds to land the fish, that fish will be part of that angler's kill. That being said, it's not something that I practice as I do not take charity fish ;D and believe those who fish with me should hook their own fish, otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of fishing in the first place.

Id have to agree with that. If you pass on the rod before you land it, no problem.  However, I am with Rodney and there's no charity fishing when i go. Its just the luck of the draw if my fishing buddy doesn't catch anything. Whats fishing without being skunked once and a while. That being said it is a different story when it is my 2 1/2 year old daughter's fishing with me. Then i pass on the rod  ;)  (although i treat her quota as my quota.. ie. 4 trout between the two of us)

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 10:51:30 PM »

Ok i see that i should have worded my comment better
once again i apologies

My comments were not to point out any race for the poaching\rule violations

Sure there are English speaking violaters but i get a reply from them (it might be f$%& off now and then) but at least then i know i got my point across and they know the rules
Then i can call the DFO

my frustration was the fact that i could not explain the rules to these guys as they did not understand me (like i said maybe its me not speaking English)
Sure if i called the dfo they might come down and charge them
thats not my intent if they are unaware of the rules
If they are ignoring the rules then sure i hope they get fined
Signs would be a great help
In England some of the lakes have signs in 6 or more languages to help get the rules across to all

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »

my frustration was the fact that i could not explain the rules to these guys as they did not understand me (like i said maybe its me not speaking English)
they understand you, they are just playing the "I don't understand" card,

I have the same problem here on White Rock pier with undersize and females crabs.
I no longer walk the pier because it boils my blood to see what is happening.
Oh, and its the same newly Canadians doing it here.

Jonny 5

• Old Timer
  • Almost the holiest fisher that ever was!
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2008, 11:09:09 AM »

As far as REAL lakes and REAL fishing goes... Real fishers use a size 20 something dry fly with a 6X tippet and fish for rising trout in the mountain streams in the rockies...   ::) ::) ::) ::)  Just kidding... throwing a little gasoline on the fire  ;D

Actually I liked fishing lafarge, nice and close (not anymore) and stocked regularly...  Good for a quick trip when you need a little distraction.  Used to be pretty wild out there about 20 years ago and you could get some pretty big trout (brood stocks I guess?).  I also remember they used to stock the coquitlam river with little catchables.. All of that was a great way to spend my summer mornings, riding out on my bmx (haha) with 2 friends and catching trout or squawfish.  My biggest concern those days was keeping my rod tip out of the bike spokes... Things have sure changed eh?  :P

J5

fossil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2008, 02:46:30 PM »

Yes, I'm sure they understand you and know well about rules.

Britguy, fine is the best sign!

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/newsrel/2008/pr14_e.htm
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:49:15 PM by fossil »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2008, 03:48:38 PM »

they understand you, they are just playing the "I don't understand" card,

I agree. Most know more English than what they are leading on.

gheart008

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 06:53:07 PM »

And yes there was a violation (he had 4 fish) once you have your limit no more fishing

Unless I missed something in the regulations, I always thought you could continue to catch and release even after you catch your limit as I do that all the time on my float tube.  Of course you can't trade up or anything like that, but telling someone to beat it just because (s)he caught his/her limit is wrong.

I'm not defending the guy from the shore and I have no affiliation with him, and I'm actually glad you did something about it if you were absolutely sure he/she was poaching, but telling him to beat it wasn't the best solution based on you thinking that it was a violation to continue fishing after catching your limit.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2008, 09:47:02 PM »

And yes there was a violation (he had 4 fish) once you have your limit no more fishing

Unless I missed something in the regulations, I always thought you could continue to catch and release even after you catch your limit as I do that all the time on my float tube.  Of course you can't trade up or anything like that, but telling someone to beat it just because (s)he caught his/her limit is wrong.

I'm not defending the guy from the shore and I have no affiliation with him, and I'm actually glad you did something about it if you were absolutely sure he/she was poaching, but telling him to beat it wasn't the best solution based on you thinking that it was a violation to continue fishing after catching your limit.

I think the problems was he/she was still killing fish, and using other peoples limits.

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2008, 07:32:36 AM »

Why not go fish a real lake in the mountains, and not some little fish pond in the city. That's what the whole experience of fly fishing is about "Solitude". That lake should be made into a under 12 lake for kids to fish not grown men who abuse it.
That's my two cents
  I fish lafarge or buntzen every weekend because it is close enough to fish a couple hours then take care of other buisness.It is just as real and fun as anywhere else.Stick your age limit!!Do you fish every weekend.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 11:57:44 AM by trout80 »
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2008, 08:26:36 AM »

I fish Lafarge maybe twice a month  ( saturday mornings ) , it"s close by to get kinks from working all week . I can have a few hours to my self before the wife gets up and finds me things to do , if this lake were to have an age restriction where would I go to unwind ? If they want to have a lake for them self go to Como and have it stocked more frequently  than the others .

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2008, 04:24:40 PM »

When to Lafarge this morning and once again no bites .There were 4 float tubers on the lake and didn't see any of them catch anything . I was there at 6:15 and tried everything in the tackle box . Ussualy after a stoking there would be lots of raisers ,not today . My question is where have all the fish gone ? On the bright side a beautiful otter surfaced within 5 feet from me .

That's why there are no fish left, nice, maybe beautiful, but hungry Otter chowing down on every fish in there. Worse poacher in my book and it dosen't speak a word of any kind.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2008, 05:15:35 PM »

When to Lafarge this morning and once again no bites .There were 4 float tubers on the lake and didn't see any of them catch anything . I was there at 6:15 and tried everything in the tackle box . Ussualy after a stoking there would be lots of raisers ,not today . My question is where have all the fish gone ? On the bright side a beautiful otter surfaced within 5 feet from me .

That's why there are no fish left, nice, maybe beautiful, but hungry Otter chowing down on every fish in there. Worse poacher in my book and it dosen't speak a word of any kind.

maybe i should introduce him to my friend mr Wingmaster 870.  oh ya, inside city limits.  I guess they are all getting away with it then

coryandtrevor

• Winter : Stick on the ice , fly in the water
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2008, 05:33:12 PM »

maybe i should introduce him to my friend mr Wingmaster 870.  oh ya, inside city limits.  I guess they are all getting away with it then

Maybe everyone should stop blaming their angling shortcomings on otters and other fishermen.  :-X

There are PLENTY of fish in LaFarge for man and beast, before, during and after stockings.

I challenge anyone with scuba gear to go in and count em.

8)
"The swing is the thing but the tug is the drug" - Unknown