Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2011  (Read 1266 times)

ja

Chilliwack River, October 4th 2011
« on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:29 PM »

Fished the canal early today.  Was shocked to see at least 10 people fishing in this one relatively small section.  And that was at 7:30am  :o  Never saw that at that location before.  Managed to get a spot on the far end...not a great but thought I'd give it a try.  Wasn't long before a couple people had fish on...Cohos.  About 30 minutes in, casting a #4 blue fox (orange), rod bends...fish on!  Lots of splashing around, sign it may be a coho.  Brought it to the edge and yep, decent sized hatchery Coho.  Started to pick it up, and it slipped right through my hands into the water.   ::) 

Oh well...continued fishing.  Again a couple more anglers with fish on, again, Cohos.  The fish were really biting.  A few minutes later, rod  bends again, a brief fight, I land the fish and see it's another hatchery coho...smaller one.  I was about to write that I was more careful this time, and I was with the fish (kept it), but when I turned around I put some pressure on my rod and snap, it breaks  :-\  Sheesh!  Well the trout rod was on it's last legs anyways.  Decided to use my larger salmon drift rod, but it was not easy using the level wind with the type of fishiing I was doing (I was using little weight) and I had limited casting space.  Again a few more fish caught by anglers, again more Coho (one Spring I believe also).  Fished for another 1 1/2 hours, with a couple hits and one brief fight, (but the hook popped off).  Decided to switch to a rooster tail (red), second cast, fish on!  A fellow beside me helped me land it with his net.  An absolute chrome hatchery Coho, 8-10lbs.  Probably the one of the nicest fish I've ever caught.  More time goes by, and I landed one more hatchery Coho.  It was a great day out, despite my rod.  I'd say at least a dozen Cohos were caught in the area I was fishing.  In spite of the rather crowded conditions, everyone was friendly and didn't really get in anyone's way.

gman

Re: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:17 PM »

I was out today for my first time this year. Wandered around a bit to explore some different spots in thel lower and mid river- a mixture of some popular spots and some out of the way exploring. I used roe and blades and kept two jack cohos, and lost some others. Saw some coho caught by others too. I aLso released a spring and some pinks. As others have decribed I saw some sins at the busy spots (snagged fish kept, fish dragged up before release, not giving space to people with fish on etc) that pissed me off a bit.  I most enjoyed exploring the quiter strecthces, and will plan to do mostly that next time out.  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »

Back tonight from 6 days of hunting and fishing and was anxious to get out on the Vedder after hearing from Rodney there was some fish around. Lots of surface action and managed to land one coho jack and and a pikeminnow.  ???
Had a number of other bites but they did not pull the Maple Leaf DNE under, smolts I guess. :-\
Hopefully tonorrow morning will see more action than this evening.

jacked55

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:43 PM »

i too am going out tomorrow morning Chris. Perhaps we will run into each other. Good luck.