Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Capilano River, September 29th 2011  (Read 3262 times)

younggun

• Old Timer
Re: Capilano River, September 29th 2011
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

Its unfortunate that DFO doesn't realize that the summer run steelhead that enter the cap come in june and july. And will hold over through the fall into the winter and spawn in the spring, so they will be open to bait after nov 1st anyway. But what does the general public know...  ::)
Fish killer 101

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 01:01:06 AM »

I have never personally hooked a steelhead while using bait when allowed. There are so few of them left, I'd cut the hook rather than second guess how badly the fish is hooked.

I think the bait ban is partially to protect the smolts that get released as they take bait very readily and often don't recover from the hook up and/or release. Moreover, swallowing cured baits is harmful to fish especially young ones ( I think another member touched on this)

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »

I think if your not catching anything on wool try using wool ties or putting more time into your presentation.  i used to think salmon didnt bite wool and wool fisherman were flossing a lot of the time, but once i started using peach wool ties (the ones tied with a vice and thread and formed into a pefect egg shape) it has made a huge difference. or at least trim it to perfection. Its not only the color but there is something about a perfect circle that sets the fish off a bit more. Also if there is a lot of leaves or debris going down the river your wool wont stand out as much to the fish. i would go to jigs or blades.  my persoanl opinion.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »

When it's high at a 4 or 5 you can get them dead drifting wool, low percentage game when its any lower than that though.

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »

If you don't mind my asking what kind of jigs work for coho?   (size? color?)   I know they work great for chums but I haven't seen them used for coho.