Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first try at tieing tube flies  (Read 2843 times)

Rieber

• Old Timer
My first try at tieing tube flies
« on: November 14, 2008, 07:45:16 PM »

I've been reading and thinking about tube fies recently and I descided to give tieing them a try. Here's my flies from today.

Please feel free to comment - good, bad or any suggestions or tips. It's the only way to get better is by getting feedback from other tyers.

Thanks, Rieber.

speycaster

Re: My first try at tieing tube flies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 08:31:14 PM »

They look fine to me, i would throw them on one of my rods. They secret to any fly is to have confidence in it and put it where the fish live. This is especially true in rivers, most times it is not the fly you use as much as getting it to where the fish are.  ;D

square tail

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:21:37 PM »

nice ties they should work for the up comming season guess I shuld get started tying as well cheers are the tubes hard to tie? have yet to tie one  have only ties some intruders?
the tug is the drug

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:34:44 PM »

Thank you for the kind comments. They are very easy to tie but I think of few of them are too bushy. I believe they would have more movement when they are tied more sparse.

This afternoon I bleach burned some marabou and other thick died chicken feathers to produce fine, whispy thin hackle for more webby movement in the material. Pretty simple process which produced virtually the same product bought at the shops called spey hackle. By using marabou you get the really long hackle that I'll tie with next.

magwart

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 11:54:58 AM »

look great