Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: marine battery  (Read 12363 times)

barklee

Re: marine battery
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2014, 04:07:34 PM »

Remember that's heavy battery in an inflatable lugging around!

Plus how long you trolling minn k recommends 60ah which you don't need.

Don't forget you gotta charge it too..heavy.

Unless the boat is aluminum on a trailer.

I find with some lakes don't have ramp so you have to carry everything.

Lithium ion$$$

Try to get 35-50ah under 20lbs. Gel enclosed. Or 2 small batteries in series much lighter.
I use on big and small the smaller to inflate boat then add in series for more time trolling.

Others even use solar panels as add on.

jacklam999

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »

Costco marine batteries are seasonal. I picked up the last one couple of weeks ago from the downtown location for $89. I think they said they will bring it back for spring season. i have the same motor and it lasted a little over a day and still had some juice left. i think they're good batteries and great return policy if anything goes wrong.

what is the brand and model of the battery?

jacklam999

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »

x2
I already recommended him this battery on a diff thread. Now go and buy one.  No point risking buying a used battery. Might save a few bucks but might also strand you out on a lake.
Dont worry about leaving the battery on cement, battery case materials nowadays are fine. Charge it everymonth or so when not in use and youll be golden.

will cosco be cheaper?

jacklam999

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »

x2
I already recommended him this battery on a diff thread. Now go and buy one.  No point risking buying a used battery. Might save a few bucks but might also strand you out on a lake.
Dont worry about leaving the battery on cement, battery case materials nowadays are fine. Charge it everymonth or so when not in use and youll be golden.
[/quote
are their cheaper one? I dont need like a powerful one, cause I mostly use in small lake

jacklam999

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2014, 07:15:46 PM »

x2
are their cheaper one? I dont need like a powerful one, cause I mostly use in small lake

VA7DDP

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2014, 10:59:21 PM »

You will need a deep cycle or dual purpose as the motor can draw a lot of energy, and bring the battery down to a voltage that is unsafe for regular battery's.

Also purchase a battery box. Canadian Tire and Lordco should have them for cheap, this prevents the battery from Damage.

We have them for ~120, Made by Deka Battery apart of East Penn. Any East Penn dealer in canada or us will give you a replacement within 1 year if it's faulty.

VA7DDP

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »

You could also go the gel battery route, lighter but cannot provide as much power.

jacklam999

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2014, 11:13:17 PM »

You could also go the gel battery route, lighter but cannot provide as much power.

are they cheaper?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

I buy all my batteries through Edmonds batteries here in Langley. I get a deal though using my brother in laws company account  :D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

jacklam999

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2014, 02:02:17 AM »

still looking for a sevylor motor mount:( basspro sold out

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 11:23:34 AM »

You have to be very careful choosing a battery for an inflatable boat.
Any acid spill from the battery will put a hole in the boat (you could use a battery case).

Get a spill-proof battery - perhaps a smaller motorcycle 12v that is not too heavy for the boat. Won't last as long but it will be easy to carry and manage in the boat.

You want a "deep-cycle" battery - not just a "marine" battery.
Marine batteries provide deep cycle but they are also designed to provide cranking power (which you don't need).

Interstate makes a good battery:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/1/1/9116-12v-18ah-sla-deep-cycle-insert-sla2608.html

Edmonds batteries carries them I think:
http://edmondsbatteries.net/ee/contact

jacklam999

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2014, 01:31:21 PM »

You have to be very careful choosing a battery for an inflatable boat.
Any acid spill from the battery will put a hole in the boat (you could use a battery case).

Get a spill-proof battery - perhaps a smaller motorcycle 12v that is not too heavy for the boat. Won't last as long but it will be easy to carry and manage in the boat.

You want a "deep-cycle" battery - not just a "marine" battery.
Marine batteries provide deep cycle but they are also designed to provide cranking power (which you don't need).

Interstate makes a good battery:
http://www.interstatebatteries.com/1/1/9116-12v-18ah-sla-deep-cycle-insert-sla2608.html

Edmonds batteries carries them I think:
http://edmondsbatteries.net/ee/contact

Hi easywater. Thank you for your info. The interstate battery you showed me is a good deal, how long can they run for minn kota 30?

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2014, 02:28:10 PM »

The cement floor cannot hurt the battery but a leaking battery can make a mess of the floor.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2014, 02:52:44 PM »

Sometimes it's your best friend  ;) . A little something that could answer some questions rather then waiting for replies  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT4-UxkROvY
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

jacklam999

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:58 PM »

Sometimes it's your best friend  ;) . A little something that could answer some questions rather then waiting for replies  8)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JT4-UxkROvY

GREAT VIDEO THANKS!