Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question  (Read 5219 times)

fishman

Re: question
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2006, 11:15:47 AM »

ah, the bottom bouncing flossing issue. I just got a couple things to add.

Despite all the BS,  not all bottom bouncing is flossing.
Example, Just watched a fishing BC  show and here's good old mark fishing  and guess what he's using a bottom bouncing setup. I've seen him do this on the Indian river and vedder on his show. The weight and leader line length varies according to water conditions. faster water heavier weight, clearer water longer leader.

Fly fisherman regularly put split shot on the line to get the fly down to the fish, guess what its a form of bottom bouncing and some of them have really long leaders.

The trick, I think is that if you're bait/wool/fly is downstream of the weight then its a proper fishing technique, if one drags the weight across the current at angle then its flossing.

I've used both techniques successfully and had the majority of fish hooked down their throat rather than snagged. Of course as with all fishing methods fish do get snagged so just release them in water.  Oh and before you guys go ranting on about snagging fish, every method of fishing snags fish at some point in rivers whether it be fly, bottom , float.  If you snag a fish accidental simply release like we should do.

Another points already sen many nets in the Fraser on some recent trips, I guess they are real selective at what fish they catch.

One final point on the Fraser,  the natives have whats so called a food fishery, so instead of calling the Fraser a sport fishery lets call it what it is a non-native food fishery for the rest of us. The difference is we have to use rod and reel instead of nets, then the fish allocation can be handled properly.