Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe  (Read 21637 times)

avid angler

Re: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2019, 03:50:54 PM »

Sorry but I disagree. Especially on the chilliwack system. The fish shut off to everything once they’re pressured including bait. I’ve handled over 1000 bait caught steelhead In that time I’ve dealt with 2 bleeders ever. I’ve had more lethally hooked salmonids on dry flies and spoons then bait and I fish a lot more bait then anything else. Plus they guys slitting female chum are already poaching. Who says they’ll stop just because of a rule? You want to increase wild fish survival rates? Make stricter fish handling rules.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:55:01 PM by avid angler »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »

Does this mean I can shop at Fred’s again?

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2019, 05:09:28 PM »

Sorry but I disagree. Especially on the chilliwack system. The fish shut off to everything once they’re pressured including bait.

Sounds like a good reason to ban it. Don't you think the fish deserve a break or are they only there for us to stick them with a hook? Not only bleeders die. Try hooking a steelhead on a dry fly at winter temperatures on the V-C. It's hard enough with deeply sunk wet flies.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

avid angler

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2019, 05:33:19 PM »

I’m saying it wouldn’t change anything lol. In my experience beads and blades pick up way more pincushions then roe. You want to give the fish a break? Shut down the upper river in April so the fish don’t see ANY gear for awhile and don’t get pressured out of all the fantastic spawning habitat
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 06:51:26 PM by avid angler »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2019, 06:55:58 PM »

We should just ban fishing.😏

Old Blue

« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2019, 08:53:32 PM »

We should just ban fishing.😏
Just move on to strictly tuna fishing Owen :)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »

Sorry but I disagree. Especially on the chilliwack system. The fish shut off to everything once they’re pressured including bait. I’ve handled over 1000 bait caught steelhead In that time I’ve dealt with 2 bleeders ever. I’ve had more lethally hooked salmonids on dry flies and spoons then bait and I fish a lot more bait then anything else. Plus they guys slitting female chum are already poaching. Who says they’ll stop just because of a rule? You want to increase wild fish survival rates? Make stricter fish handling rules.

I disagree with the last statement simply because it is hard to enforce. Look at Sturgeon. People still handle sturgeon like donkeys and proudly post their handling techniques on social media. The one rule I would be in favor of is once the limit of hatchery fish has been retained the angler has to stop fishing for the day. Make it the same as Steelhead. Itll open the river up, allow more fish to pass up river to other angler and be hook shy. Far too many people on the Chilliwack river C&R Coho all day long. Its unnecessary.

capman

« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2019, 10:41:57 AM »

A simple change in regulation can go a long way. Lowering the number of possession per day will certainly help to lower the pressure on the river and the fish and also allows more people to enjoy the fishing. Why someone need 4 hatchery coho per day? Make it a max of 2 hatchery and one Spring a day. That is more than enough fish for one person.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2019, 11:53:01 AM »

You want to give the fish a break? Shut down the upper river in April so the fish don’t see ANY gear for awhile and don’t get pressured out of all the fantastic spawning habitat

I'd go for that and a roe ban too!

(Just kidding on the roe ban part).
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2019, 02:28:59 PM »

Make it a max of 2 hatchery and one Spring a day.

I think that's more than generous. Another approach could be 10 hatchery coho per season per angler, just like steelhead and chinook.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2019, 02:50:18 PM »

I think that's more than generous. Another approach could be 10 hatchery coho per season per angler, just like steelhead and chinook.

Why would we ask for more restrictions, All your doing is giving your Quota away to another sector.  If we don't kill the fish another sector will, sadly that's how the system works.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2019, 03:19:06 PM »

Why would we ask for more restrictions
To prevent people from hogging the most productive spots all day, allowing more anglers access to quality water. The result would be more fish caught by a larger number of anglers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 03:20:44 PM by milo »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2019, 03:27:31 PM »

To prevent people from hogging the most productive spots all day, allowing more anglers access to quality water. The result would be more fish caught by a larger number of anglers.

yeah that's a fair point

avid angler

« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2019, 04:05:17 PM »

Why would we ask for more restrictions, All your doing is giving your Quota away to another sector.  If we don't kill the fish another sector will, sadly that's how the system works.
100% agree with wildmanyeah. Hatchery fisheries are basically the only freshwater salmon retention fisheries we have left. In no way should we ever ask for additional restrictions. It’s a very slippery slope.

avid angler

« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2019, 04:10:24 PM »

I disagree with the last statement simply because it is hard to enforce. Look at Sturgeon. People still handle sturgeon like donkeys and proudly post their handling techniques on social media. The one rule I would be in favor of is once the limit of hatchery fish has been retained the angler has to stop fishing for the day. Make it the same as Steelhead. Itll open the river up, allow more fish to pass up river to other angler and be hook shy. Far too many people on the Chilliwack river C&R Coho all day long. Its unnecessary.

Sturgeon handling has improved dramatically with the new rules. Steelhead especially would 100% benefit from a handling improving regulation. A huge driving factor for the new generation is photos for their Facebook and Instagram accounts. If they get shamed for breaking a mishandling rule chances are  they won’t do it again