Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe  (Read 21636 times)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
Re: Freds Custom Tackle selling fresh chum roe
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2019, 05:01:20 AM »

More likely they didn't want to disclose their legal source and have other shops compete.

Doubtful. They dont have any competition from Hope to Abbotsford, zero ave to Mission. I used to love Wholesales Sports. I would drive to Langley just for that store  Near the end of their life ( right after Cabelas opened ) that store had major stock and local kind of tackle. I wouldn't say that Fred's is my favorite, mainly because they always seem to be sold out of what I need during peak season of whatever is running. I could care less about roe or where it came from.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2019, 12:18:49 PM »

Robs bait will hook you up  8)
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2019, 05:41:15 PM »

Literally every actual tackle store pulled the betties off the shelf’s after the last sockeye opening so nice try. Yes I do spend a couple thousand dollars in fishing tackle every year. Not that hard when your lucky enough to fish more days then not. Hell a decent pair or waders is over 500 bucks now

...and I can guarantee you they'll restock those shelves if they ever reopen the sockeye. No different when there's a pink opening and shelves are filled with pink spoons. It's referred to as commerce 101...supply and demand.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »

since nobody bothered to phone and ask, I did. Tony said it's frozen fresh roe from last year's commercial openings.

Jk47

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2019, 07:04:35 AM »

since nobody bothered to phone and ask, I did. Tony said it's frozen fresh roe from last year's commercial openings.
Cant believe I made my eyes bleed like that by reading 5 pages of garbage. Get a life, people. Social media these days is out of control.

ae_9

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2019, 08:17:01 AM »

Good ole Fresh (previously frozen) roe

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »

Who said it was fresh?

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2019, 11:58:16 AM »

Good ole Fresh (previously frozen) roe
In this instance, I would assume "fresh" means uncured.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2019, 12:29:57 PM »

Berry's is also advertising it has Fresh Frozen roe available.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2019, 01:22:40 PM »

Fresh is my word, as opposed to rotten. ::)

I've dealt with discussion forums and social media long enough to realize that no matter what you say, if someone doesn't like you, they're going to go out of their way to taint your reputation when you put yourself out there. No worries, no amount of defence would change those minds, we let our own actions to speak for ourselves.

Here's the store's original post in question.

Why anyone would think a business that spends thousands of dollars each year on giving back to this community is willing to source bait illegally to sell is beyond baffling.

Fred and I don't agree on everything, but at the end of the day I have a lot more respect for him than anonymous individuals who spend more time trying to prove others are wrong than actually doing something to help the community. There are some pretty smart people here, there are also some who have absolutely no idea what they're talking about yet they think they do, but a huge chunk of the group never bother to execute their ideas and do something about what they are unhappy about. Laziness? Scared? No idea, but what a waste of time.

A post from Fred's staff to follow below.

Fred's Custom Tackle

• Advertiser
  • Fred's Custom Tackle
    • Fred's Custom Tackle
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2019, 01:25:12 PM »

Hey Folks... Based on an Oct 30th posting, there have been some outright lies floating around the web about Fred's selling "fresh chum roe". First off, the posting (see Rod's post) doesn't say fresh. Second, it was frozen. Third, it was from 2018 - hence sturgeon bait. Finally, it was purchased from an Alaskan processing plant. We brought the FB posting down because, again, there were lies and accusations being irresponsibly thrown about and it was best to nip it in the bud before things got too out of control. Fred personally puts countless hours in with Local / Provincial / Federal stakeholders and contributes an enormous amount of financial backing to help protect our Fraser River basin and its tributaries. This often gets overlooked internet heroes looking to gain points, or start ugly rumors. We are not the enemy. In fact, Fred is a leader, fighting for YOUR RIGHT to responsibly enjoy the sport we love. Please feel free to contact Tony at 604-858-7344 if you have any questions.
Fred's Custom Tackle
2A-34150 South Fraser Way, Abbotsford | 6336C Vedder Rd, Chilliwack | 604.746.1481 | info@fredscustomtackle.com

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2019, 02:37:55 PM »

Fact: Roe is not fresh.
Fact: Roe is frozen.
Fact: Roe is Alaskan.
Fact: Roe is from last year.

Thanks Rodney and Tony. It's a shame that Avid Angler chose to spread lies about a respectable business on this forum based on pure  speculation and assumptions.
Very dissapointing.

Almost as disgusting as finding a chum doe last weekend with her belly slit open and roe removed.

I hope baiting hooks with roe gets banned. The sooner, the better. And something tells me Fred would not oppose such ban.

avid angler

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2019, 03:10:35 PM »

I’ve been waiting for an actual answer from Freds before commenting further. My apologies. I was wrong. I know for a fact that many people shared my concerns. I was just the only one who posted it here. I had phoned the Abbotsford store and whoever it was I spoke to refused to comment on the source. Milo I doubt many people including Fred would support a roe ban. With how many more people are using bait now as opposed to snagging it would be a huge backwards step with all the efforts to move lower mainland river fisheries away from flossing.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2019, 03:39:25 PM »

I’ve been waiting for an actual answer from Freds before commenting further. My apologies. I was wrong. I know for a fact that many people shared my concerns. I was just the only one who posted it here. I had phoned the Abbotsford store and whoever it was I spoke to refused to comment on the source. Milo I doubt many people including Fred would support a roe ban. With how many more people are using bait now as opposed to snagging it would be a huge backwards step with all the efforts to move lower mainland river fisheries away from flossing.

Good on you for manning up, owning your mistake and apologizing. Let's move on.
For the record, I do not opose bait overall; I oppose using cured salmon roe as bait. There are alternatives, like a certain small crustacean readily available in every supermarket. Or juicy night crawlers for steelhead. Plus endless scents that can release a smelly milky trail. Not too mention all those artificials made to imitate roe and single eggs. Just a thought.

sumasriver

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2019, 03:40:01 PM »

I would 100 % support a ban of fishing with roe/bait on the CV .  A bait ban would surely help catch and release wild fish survival rates.....   It would also probably help with the killing of female Chum on the river....How is that a bad thing ?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 03:50:39 PM by sumasriver »