Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help on choosing a few Steelhead Flies to Tie  (Read 5303 times)

Moby Dick

Help on choosing a few Steelhead Flies to Tie
« on: November 16, 2004, 09:26:35 PM »

I am new to tying flies, and was wondering if anyone would suggest a few patterns that are fairly easy to tie and that would also be a good bet to fish with.  I have actually never even fished for steelhead so that is going to be new for me this year as well. If you could supply the full name (if you know it) so I could look it up on the net and try to find tying instructions and materials for the pattern that would be great.

My goal is to hopefully tie a few dozen steelhead flies for a xmas gift for my dad. So you could say I have some quick learning to do! 

Thanks for the help

north

Re: Help on choosing a few Steelhead Flies to Tie
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 11:49:56 PM »

woolly buggers, alaskabou or most of the other marabou flies are fairly easy. popscicle,tequila sunrise.

river

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2004, 10:16:24 PM »

some simple bucktails aren't that hard to tie. try maybe some skunks or GP's (general practitioners) [i know, the GP is not a bucktail, but feathers tie in easier than bucktail]. check out yer local flyshop, then you can see what you're getting into.

Steelhead King

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 05:12:44 PM »

if you want something that is super simple, try to tie some bunny leech with or with out  dunbell eyes.   get a pack of color stright- cut rabbit strip for the tail, and either get a matching color or a different color cross-but rabbit strip for body. tie in tail, wrap up the body, whip finifsh, drop of head cement- you done. if you have all teh material, you can crank one in a minute or two.... goodluck fishing

marco