Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pointers on fishing a prawn for steelhead?  (Read 6514 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Pointers on fishing a prawn for steelhead?
« on: January 10, 2013, 04:14:41 PM »

Normally I fish roe or roe sacks for steelhead, but I'm looking to try something different. I have some raw prawns in my freezer that I'm going to thaw and give a try this coming weekend. I've tipped jigs with small pieces of prawn but never fished a whole prawn on a bare hook. Just wondering if anyone has some words to the wise pertaining to the following:

1- Rigging up...I'm plaiing to go with a larger hook (say 1/0), and a fairly short leader (foot and a half of so). This is pretty much the same way I'd fish roe. Any thing I should do differently for rigging up a prawn?

2- Raw or cooked prawn, does it matter?

3- I've heard of some guys prepping/curing their prawns before fishing. For example, hardening them in coarse salt, curing them with procure, drying them with bait dye, etc. Anyone care to share a method that has worked for them?

4- Putting the prawn on a hook...just thread it on like a worm? I think their is a special way to thread it on so it doesn't come off...I'll see if there is anything on youtube for this.

If anyone has any other tips they'd like to share on this topic, like add a corkie or something for floatation, etc. I would really appreciate it!

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Pointers on fishing a prawn for steelhead?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 04:53:52 PM »

They all work, just put them on your hook. Steelhead are stupid, they will hit anything. When the season gets going, changing up, and size become more of a factor.
The Bigger The Better!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 06:02:08 PM »

I use a 1/0 hook on a short 14 pnd flouro leader...
Raw and cooked both work equally as well for me, but I definitely prefer natural for steelhead and rarely dye them or do anything else.

At times I will add a bit of orange wool in the bait loops. Seems to give a spotting effect and also will hold the prawn on longer. I just add the prawn directly onto the hook and slide it up to the wool in the bait loop. Definitely a durable bait. I should mention here that I never or very rarely use a full prawn, mostly just small chuncks like you would use to tip a jig with. I have died full prawns pink before and threaded them on with a needle above the hook. Kind of like a 3" pink worm with scent, that spins like crazy in the water. Careful reeling those guys in... had lots of larger bull trout take them top water, and even a steelhead once.

And I'll echo what Big Fisher says. Later in the season change is important. I was sight fishing this past weekend ans tried running bait, worms, corkies, wool ties, pretty much everything. Only got 1 fish on bait, 2 on worms and then 7 on spoons - and all these fish were behind people. Pays to show them something they haven't seen yet that day.

Cheers,
Dan

oscar

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 07:13:11 PM »

1- IMO your on the right track as far as the hook size/rigging goes....

2- I use cooked shrimp.(large cooked shrimp from a shrimp ring, complete w/tails - Save-on-foods.)These are a bit smaller than your "average" prawn, but bigger than your "average" shrimp

3- Pro cured w/red hot double stuff (not too much or you'll burn them), dried a couple hours, then lightly salted to tuffen them up.

4- if you look along the back of the shrimp there is a natural "split" that runs from tail up.Insert hook at the top of this split,out the other side,then back thru the side with the split.(shrimp tail ends up "hooking" opposite of hook)Finish by placing bait loop over remaining 1/4" or so of head end of shrimp.I usually have a small tuft of wool in the bait loop, so the leader doesn't cut into shrimp.(It makes perfect sense once you've seen it! honest!)

Just my 2 bits.Worked well on the Thompson in Nov., Vedder last yr...Been doing better with roe sacks, but definately a good standby thats always on hand.Then again, I've only hooked 2 since Christmas... Maybe you should listen to the guy that's hooked 10 last weekend!

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »

I hooked my first Steelie on a whole cooked shrimp, i just added a bit of white wool and some scent
I hooked the shrimp from mid point down towards the head section and used a bait loop to hold the tail and the wool
As mentioned I think if you get it in front of a steelie there is a good chance it will take it
I have had quite a few hook ups on whole cooked shrimp since then
I am heading out in the morning and will have some shrimp with me

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:04:36 AM »

This is my favorite method.

Put a jensen egg on and some wool. tiny amount of wool...
the hook shrimp on the shank.
If the shrimp falls off you have something presenting for the fish

Rules of thumb I follow;

1. gin clear water. I use deli shrimp ring.
2. semi colored waters. you could use a Tiny amount of pink/purple/orange procure. not too much. you just want a small amount of color... but keep the bare shrimp on hand as well.
non dyed shrimp are a must have imo.
3. dirty waters i dye some dark pink/purple/orange. But always keep some bare on hand.  might want a 81-90 count bag of shrimp for this color of water.

4. All water conditions. Bent rod jig tipped with some shrimp.. Killer combo.

5. When all else fails.. 6 inch worm. white/pink/orange.

i sometimes tip the worm with shrimp.

Tight lines.
Tight lines to all