Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spinner - float rig  (Read 6507 times)

Polaris

Spinner - float rig
« on: August 16, 2012, 06:42:02 PM »

Went fishing to Capilano river the other day and saw some guys fishing with a spinner/float rig.  The float was a teardrop type, it looked like there was also a weight (a long strip of lead?).  The technique was just cast and retrieve with the float dragged (in a horizontal position) along the surface.  Never seen that before...
What is the advantage/purpose of this setup compared to just using a spinner with nothing else?  If there is an advantage, how exactly do you rig it up?

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Spinner - float rig
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 11:44:54 AM »

http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners/fishing-spinners-getting-you-started

You can rig it the same way you would bait under a float or bobber. Google "slip float" or "slip bobber" for useful techniques related to this.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Polaris

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »

Thank you for your answer.  I am quite familiar with a slip float and checked the link you suggested.  It says there: "Using this style you will catch fish during all stages of your drift".  However, I do not understand what keeps the spinner blade spinning when you cast upstream and it passively drifts with a float towards you?  I also still don't understand why the presence of a float makes this way of using a spinner more successful.  Finally, the same link suggests to use spinner under float "slow and low" which to me is the best way of losing your spinner on the rocks on the bottom...  Could you please elaborate one these points?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 05:10:57 AM »

The drift causes the spin, if you have it set up properly.
Take the T out of Morton.

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 06:17:41 AM »

This article I wrote might help you out a bit.    http://bentrods.ca/fishing-spinners-under-a-float

Also this video has some float/spinner results   http://bentrods.ca/video-blog-fishing-with-bent-rod-boot-laces
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:49:38 AM »

The drift causes the spin, if you have it set up properly.

And if it's moving along fast enough, obviously.

I also still don't understand why the presence of a float makes this way of using a spinner more successful.

I believe it's just another method, not necessarily more successful. One advantage would be that you can cover more water, as the blade is able to drift through a run rather than being retrieved across it. You can just certainly cast and retrieve, especially in slower moving water/across pools, with similar success. However, you can also cast and retrieve with a float, so this rig is multipurpose. The float can also help to keep your gear off the bottom, so if you know where that is you can set your depth so that you can let the gear sink and not be too worried about losing it. The alternative is to use the "countdown method" without a float...

Slow and low is recommended because that's generally where the salmon are holding and they aren't necessarily going to chase your lure if it's 10ft. above them or moving too fast.

Keep in mind that these are all just recommendations, based on experience, and not "gospel." Feel free to experiment with techniques and find what works best with you and the conditions you fish.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Brian the fisherman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 09:51:47 PM »

I caught 2 of my red springs with a spinner underneath my float, total distance from float to spinner was no more than 3 ft.
Tight lines to all

mko72

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:14 PM »

Cool.  I've seen these rigs but never tried it.  Something I don't understand with spinners in the way they're weighted. 

You can throw a 1/2oz or 5/8oz spoon super far, but I've never seen a spinner that weighs more then 1/4oz and yet, in the Bent Rods videos, they appear to be cast quite far.  When I cast a spinner it doesn't go very far, I assume because it's so light.  I know that line weight plays a factor but this Bent Rod fellow really puts my casting to shame.

So what's the deal?!?!  :)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 12:23:28 AM »

Bent Rod spinners have a weighted body

alan701

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 12:04:46 PM »

Cool.  I've seen these rigs but never tried it.  Something I don't understand with spinners in the way they're weighted. 

You can throw a 1/2oz or 5/8oz spoon super far, but I've never seen a spinner that weighs more then 1/4oz and yet, in the Bent Rods videos, they appear to be cast quite far.  When I cast a spinner it doesn't go very far, I assume because it's so light.  I know that line weight plays a factor but this Bent Rod fellow really puts my casting to shame.

So what's the deal?!?!  :)

me too! Im looking forward to homemade spinners to see difference

mko72

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:46:31 PM »

Bent Rod spinners have a weighted body

How much weight?  1/2oz?  I'm definitely down with making spinners in bulk.  It hate it when a $5 lure gets lost.  That's correct, I am cheap.  :P

Ezio

• vedder sucks tell your friends.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 02:21:45 AM »

How much weight?  1/2oz?  I'm definitely down with making spinners in bulk.  It hate it when a $5 lure gets lost.  That's correct, I am cheap.  :P

thats not being cheap ;D why spend $3-5 each, when you can buy the materials in bulk and build 30 for $0.35 each, it just takes some free time and patience. i build all my own spinners, and i've saved a lot of money because of it.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 11:46:00 AM »

thats not being cheap ;D why spend $3-5 each, when you can buy the materials in bulk and build 30 for $0.35 each, it just takes some free time and patience. i build all my own spinners, and i've saved a lot of money because of it.

X2 I make my own spinners. They're a heck cheaper and they catch fish

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »

I think it's criminal to charge 5$ a spinner , few years ago I use to work for 30$ /4hour shift I'd then go blow it on spinners and spoons and loose them in rivers the same day . Took me a while to figure out I had a mental issue with buying metal .

Hey ezio would you consider selling your spinners for like a 1 or 2$ ?

And has anybody fished blue foxes under a float , I don't think itd work .

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 03:11:21 PM »

I think it's criminal to charge 5$ a spinner , few years ago I use to work for 30$ /4hour shift I'd then go blow it on spinners and spoons and loose them in rivers the same day . Took me a while to figure out I had a mental issue with buying metal .

Hey ezio would you consider selling your spinners for like a 1 or 2$ ?

And has anybody fished blue foxes under a float , I don't think itd work .

I fish blue foxes under a float with quite a bit of success.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family