Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to be comfortable in the winter, while fishing.  (Read 6514 times)

Damien

• Old Timer
How to be comfortable in the winter, while fishing.
« on: November 17, 2011, 10:39:06 AM »

Hey there.

Say, down to -5 or so.  Would 5mm neoprene waders (boot foot with doubled up wool socks) with an underarmour cold gear baselayer, followed by jogging pants under the waders be sufficient in the cold for the lower half?

I dread to think about being too cold or too hot after hiking a long ways away from my car to explore.

I want to be able to leave my car and head out without freezing or boiling and having to come back to the car to add or remove layers.

I know that one person's cold is anothers warm, but in general, do you think I would be okay for most conditions with above noted configuration?

roseph

Re: How to be comfortable in the winter, while fishing.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

switch the jogging pants with fleece and you should be fine.

brysonk

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 05:39:14 PM »

if you feel yourself getting cold just keep moving. If you stand in one spot all day it doesn't matter what your wearing you're going to get cold.

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 06:12:34 PM »

if you feel yourself getting cold just keep moving. If you stand in one spot all day it doesn't matter what your wearing you're going to get cold.

This!

slyrod

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:21:43 PM »

And buy those hand warmer hot packs, they do come in handy.  You can also put them on your feet.

1son

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:09:37 PM »

I usually double up on everything from socks,long johns/jogging pants,hoody/jacket and a nice pair of gloves as I'm wearing breathables

ribolovac02

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 09:13:06 PM »

I NEVER wear double layers,really,I have breathable waders wool socks,fleece underpants,fleece tight to my upper body and my hoodie with my gortex jacket over top,fleece gloves and a touge, if you move,which you do when you stealhead,i been out there in -21 and made it alive lol.

Standing in one spot on the other hand especially in the water,there is nothing out there that will keep you warm,maybe electric socks if there is any lol

best part is when you get some chrome,and you tail it and get wet up your elbows that sucks a little later
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 09:15:03 PM by ribolovac02 »

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 11:04:10 PM »

Hey there.

Say, down to -5 or so.  Would 5mm neoprene waders (boot foot with doubled up wool socks) with an underarmour cold gear baselayer, followed by jogging pants under the waders be sufficient in the cold for the lower half?

I dread to think about being too cold or too hot after hiking a long ways away from my car to explore.

I want to be able to leave my car and head out without freezing or boiling and having to come back to the car to add or remove layers.

I know that one person's cold is anothers warm, but in general, do you think I would be okay for most conditions with above noted configuration?

Boot foot waders are warmer than stocking foot waders.  Under your neoprenes you need something that can manage sweat.  I'd suggest microfleece, seems to wick better than anything else.  Goretex allows the evaporation of humidity which prevents sweat from cooling you down, so breathables will ultimately keep you warmer.  I use a moisture wicking sock under a wool sock.  On top, merino wool baselayer, then a grey Stanfield wool sweater, then a soft shell and a Goretex jacket over everything.  The rain jacket stays on regardless of the weather to prevent getting wet if I slip.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:16 PM »

i been out there in -21 and made it alive lol.

:o :o :o

You can have all the fish of all the rivers in the world at -21.
I'd rather stay home with a glass of brandy in my hand.

Steelheading at -21...(some dudes are hard core, really) ::)

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »

If you move around a lot temperatures down to -5 or so really aren't an issue. I personally find it more of a challenge keeping warm trout fishing in May/early June than winter river fishing. Long underwear and thermal socks go a long way.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:03:42 PM »

Isn't -21 ice fishing ? :)

ribolovac02

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:51:41 PM »

We cought a stealhead that day too,my buddy got a six pound wild doe ;D

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 08:45:04 PM »

--trolling on Okanagan lk for the 10 lb plus winter rainbows.. bucktail fly's and plugs
--Oh yah... heated cab on the boat.

adecadelost

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 10:01:49 AM »

switch the jogging pants with fleece and you should be fine.

X2

The worst thing you can wear is cotton.  Switch out the jogging pants for fleece and don't wear cotton hoodies.  Cotton doesn't retain heat when wet (either from sweat or rain) and when it gets wet it will start to pull heat away from your body.  You can get away with a lot less clothes of you stick to things like fleece and merino wool.

prairiefire

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 10:44:14 AM »

Check out MEC for merino or other wicking type undies. They have decent prices and good products. I've been using a pair from them for over 10 years and no complaints.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man