Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite fishing spot on the Vedder/Chilliwack that no longer exists!  (Read 6527 times)

clarki

• Old Timer
Re: Favorite fishing spot on the Vedder/Chilliwack that no longer exists!
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 12:01:00 AM »

There used to be a gorgeous pool at Thurston Meadows
Ditto

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »

I can think of two flyfishing spots that I'll never forget...

1.  Cable lines - just below train bridge, used to be a beautiful run with slow moving water with a nice trough.  The tail out was basically frog-like water and nice coho habitat.  This was back in 2001, and the flyfishing for coho was excellent there.  A year later, the river blew out and the run was no more.  However, in 2003, it formed a nice pool that held red springs that were willing to take a fly.  It's hard to believe it used to be like that, now looking at it now.

2.  Peach road pond - 2003.  There was a big pond right at the end of Peach Road.  Back then, the parking lot was surrounded by fields - it is now full of condos!  Anyway, the cast and retrieve fly was deadly for the hundreds of coho that held in that pool.  Later in October of that year, the river blew and the pond disappeared never to return...

Now I've turned to the dark side, breaking out the float rod with my roe master Stratocaster.   ;)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2011, 06:26:33 PM »

The trail leaving from the shoulder of the highway just downstream of Allison Pool used to be my go-to for springs and coho both back in 1999-2001 - a tough hike to keep the crowds away and a couple of great pool/tailout combos.  The river is now 50 yards away from the riprap!

Now my favorite run for springs from last year - halfway between peach rd. and vedder crossing - is also gone.  First day out this year my Dada & I parked at Peach rd. at first light and ended up walking all the way to the crossing to fish!  Then I had to walk out just as far with my fish.   ;)