Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Favorite fishing spot on the Vedder/Chilliwack that no longer exists!  (Read 6528 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer

After fishing this river for the past 20 years, a few great spots stick out in my mind that have changed so much they are no longer fishable.  There used to be a gorgeous pool at Thurston Meadows where fish would stack up, complete with a waterfall in the background.  Just wondering what spots other people miss from years past.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Favorite fishing spot on the Vedder/Chilliwack that no longer exists!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:17:59 PM »

None I'm always looking for new spots.

Although I do remember missing 15 cent wing night specials. Wings all stacked up in front of you.........mmmmmmmm
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:25:45 PM »

i miss the ranger run!!  :'(
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

fisher man

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:00:14 PM »

One of my favorite runs was between lickman and peach that disappeared just this past summer.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »

i miss the ranger run!!  :'(

it's still there...kind of

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 09:16:12 PM »

None I'm always looking for new spots.

Although I do remember missing 15 cent wing night specials. Wings all stacked up in front of you.........mmmmmmmm

hahaha cracks me up

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 09:17:26 PM »

I miss barfishing the canal with my grandfather over 25 years ago when their was barely anyone around.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

RossP

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:22 PM »

I miss barfishing the canal with my grandfather over 25 years ago when their was barely anyone around.

I hear you, back when the freeway split just west of the canal. There was hardly any pressure on the vedder. Things have changed over the years, some or the better and some not. I am glad that I have Mondays off as I do not have to try ad fish the weekend, I think If I saw things that I hear of going on I would get into too much trouble and I am gettig too old for that king of chit. Still a lot of garbage happening on Mondays but I can avoid most of it by walking a little. There are still the few tiimes a year when the wife can sit and bar fish on the vedder while I fly fish and we take breaks for a bite to eat and a glass of wine. We don't catch much but it' s still a good time.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 11:06:32 PM »

Yes I do miss the ranger run as well. There are so many other areas that you find are really good and then you get a huge rain, the river floods, and the river completely changes from the crossing down to the canal. Sometimes the runs change for the better.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 11:47:01 PM »

Headed out to a very productive run for chinook that I fished many times last year only to find the river had completely changed. River was Half the width, relatively shallow shore to shore and a now relatively unfishable tail out. As being a relatively new angler to the vedder and still learning less pressured spots it was disheartening  to see this run I discovered now gone.
I find I explore more than I fish sometimes haha

clujalolo

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 12:04:36 AM »

Headed out to a very productive run for chinook that I fished many times last year only to find the river had completely changed. River was Half the width, relatively shallow shore to shore and a now relatively unfishable tail out. As being a relatively new angler to the vedder and still learning less pressured spots it was disheartening  to see this run I discovered now gone.
I find I explore more than I fish sometimes haha

soo true, im just im hoping the spot i went to last year there was a ton of chinooks hoping its still the same. 

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:19 AM »

School House Run

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 12:44:13 AM »

I miss the rock I stood on all last year. If you find it let me know...  :'(
The Bigger The Better!

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 09:30:41 AM »

I've found a lot of nice slots, just around the corner from busy runs, that produce and then gone with the rain.

It's very rewarding when you walk into an area that already has people, walk around the corner making a few casts here and there, and discover a little slot where some fish like to sit. It's also fustrating  when a heavy rain comes and washes it away or even just the river fluctuating up or down a little and it no longer is productive. Then you get to search all over again

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:47:05 AM »

Below the Concrete Slab, the river used to bent to hug the trees on the other side of the road and it was a long productive run with easy access. You could walk out there without wader. There was no flow along the road side which now has a strong flow.