British Columbia Sport & Outdoor Lounge > Sport Chat

Rocky Johnson dies 75 yrs old.

<< < (2/2)

Novabonker:
Yes indeed I  still enjoy pro wrestling.  It's the show the feuds and the athleticism of the spectacle. The days of kayfabe are long over though. Manitoba had a boxing and wrestling commission  that decreed that the pros had to call the shows exhibition of strength and skill, not wrestling.The WWE is now more a soap opera than a  wrestling  show. The "extreme" or "death match" promotions are just sick. There's still some that put on  a decent show but they're not drawing the crowds. Abs I can almost say with 100% certainty tha Abdulla (Larry Shreve) had a  small blade tucked into his wrist tape. He was notorious  for "adding colour" to his matches. The fork was an amazing  prop that drove the fans nuts. He ended up with a lawsuit for infectiing  another performer with hep c. The scars arecso deep on his forehead that he puts poker chips in them. U
If you get a chance look up the Cormier family from New Brunswick.  They are family to me. Yvon or The Beast was the nicest  most gentle guy you could meet. Also amazingly  strong, bench pressing over 500 pounds.. Good times.

arimaBOATER:

--- Quote from: Novabonker on February 23, 2020, 02:48:15 PM ---Yes indeed I  still enjoy pro wrestling.  It's the show the feuds and the athleticism of the spectacle. The days of kayfabe are long over though. Manitoba had a boxing and wrestling commission  that decreed that the pros had to call the shows exhibition of strength and skill, not wrestling.The WWE is now more a soap opera than a  wrestling  show. The "extreme" or "death match" promotions are just sick. There's still some that put on  a decent show but they're not drawing the crowds. Abs I can almost say with 100% certainty tha Abdulla (Larry Shreve) had a  small blade tucked into his wrist tape. He was notorious  for "adding colour" to his matches. The fork was an amazing  prop that drove the fans nuts. He ended up with a lawsuit for infectiing  another performer with hep c. The scars arecso deep on his forehead that he puts poker chips in them. U
If you get a chance look up the Cormier family from New Brunswick.  They are family to me. Yvon or The Beast was the nicest  most gentle guy you could meet. Also amazingly  strong, bench pressing over 500 pounds.. Good times.

--- End quote ---
Yes totally agree with your pts.
Extreme matches is just that too extreme.
Yes I heard about that lawsuit against Abdulla.
I remember the Beast. He wrestled in Toronto & eastern USA cities.
He'd put it in overdrive & attack ...wore Tarzan trunks & big fuzzy black hair.
Check out the vid : Don Leo Jonathan vs Abdulla the Butcher ( Japan match )
Wrestling as I know it does not exist today. It was good in the 60s 70s ...80s quite good ...90s went down hill ...too gross...2000s as ya say it's all Hollywood. Hype & high risk moves ...
No build up. No wrestling holds...
The Assassins & the Tolos Bros. & The Fabulous Kagaroos were good tag teams ...
John Tolos would win by putting his middle knuckle into the guys temple area ( side of head) & grin away.
The guys legs & arms would go all over because of the pain...then he's pass out.
Of course Tolos kept the knuckle grinning & the fans yelled STOP & ref telling Tolos  "let him go"...
Of course it was all fake but it looked believable.
The quality of wrestlers & the matches were top notch.
Thank The Lord for youtube as I can watch lots of classic past matches. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version