Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Good 17LB mono mainline?  (Read 6527 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Good 17LB mono mainline?
« on: March 20, 2013, 10:30:28 AM »

I've always spooled up my bigger baitcaster with 20LB Maxima. Best mainline IMO. I bought a new baitcaster that doesn't have quite the spool capacity with the 20LB as I'd like (only 120 yards). I could spool it up with 15LB, but on occasion I run a 15LB leader for big springs, chum, etc. So I don't want to run the risk of snapping my mainline if my leader is the same breaking strength.

Does anyone know of a good mono mainline in, say, 17LB test? Unfortunately Maxima only comes in 15LB, 20LB, 25LB, etc. I do not want to run braid. I know Suffix makes a good 17LB flourocarbon, but I am looking for a solid mono take can compete with my old favorite Maxima Ultragreen.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Re: Good 17LB mono mainline?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »

15lb Maxima is probably closer to 17 or 18lb... You could also consider looking at Berkely ProSpec. I've been using it lately and have been extremely impressed.

Just my personal opinion, but you're probably better dropping down to a 12lb mainline with a 10lb leader. This should be more than sufficient for landing chinook.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 10:43:03 AM by Sterling C »
Actions speak louder than words.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »

Thanks Sterling C, I'll check out the Berkley ProSpec. In some waters (lower river) I do fish 12-15LB mainline and 10LB leader with a different rod and reel for Chinook, Chum, etc. However in other meaner upper river waters with 20+LB fish on I have had 15LB mainline snap on occasion. Last year was fishing 20LB mainline and 15lb leader and had no issues. In such water drag needs to be set tight and fish needs to be powered in with the rod before it gets away in the white water.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2013, 12:06:51 PM »

Try P-Line CXX X-tra Strong mono line.
I use 12lb as main on my Curado 201E7 and 15lb as main on my Luna 253L and both work very well.
They are thinner and stronger than UG IMO.
I buy the 600 yd spool and I can normally load up 4 reels with it and save me quite a bit of money.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2013, 12:53:43 PM »

I've never tried P-Line, but I've heard it's good stuff. I'd be willing to give it a go. So this Cxx-Xtra strong, where do you get the big spool? Online? I've seen a few big spools of mono sold at WholeSale sports. They had 660 yeard spool of Maxima Ultragreen for about $45 bucks I think.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:49 PM »

I buy mine when I am working up in Alberta at the Bass Pro Shop in Calgary.
It costs like $18 per spool or so. I am not sure where they sell it in Vancouver area.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:04:38 PM »

I am surprised no one mentioned my favourite 17#-test line: Rapala TOUGH
Very similar in appearance and quality to Maxima Ultragreen, only cheaper.

Rapala Fishing Line
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:09:18 PM by milo »

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 05:34:15 PM »

I like the sounds of this line! I've never seen it in stores. You buy it on line? Sounds like what I'm looking for. Would give me a bit more spool capacity than my 20lb Maxima, but would still work if I were to fish fast water withg big salmon present and want to jump up to 15LB leader.

PS. I found Berkley XT to be excellent leader. I used to always use Maxima Ultragreen for leader then a buddy of mine turned me onto the Berkley XT. Absolutley no issues and a lot cheaper than the Maxima. Still love maxima for mainline though.

I'm liking the sounds of this Rapala tough line.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 06:59:20 PM »

I like the sounds of this line! I've never seen it in stores. You buy it on line?

Check the manufacturer's dealer locator on their website.
A&N and other local retailers carry it.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. Would give me a bit more spool capacity than my 20lb Maxima, but would still work if I were to fish fast water withg big salmon present and want to jump up to 15LB leader.

I would suggest you keep at least a 5# test difference between main line and leader, ESPECIALLY  if they are from different manufacturers. Not all tests are created equal. (17# test Rapala Tough and 12# test Maxima Ultragreen will enable you to land any fish the Vedder graces you with - as long as it is hooked in the mouth).
Don't forget also that the knot at the swivel, the sliding of the float up and down the main line, not to mention the abrasion caused by casting out and retrieving over rocks, as well as regular use, all cause progressive damage to the line, especially between float and swivel.
Many people retie their leaders as they change their presentation, but forget to retie the main line every now and then.
An orphaned float traveling downstream is the result of a broken main line, not of a broken leader. And you see many of those on any given day.

Therefore, it is good practice to cut off two or three feet of the main line above the swivel and retie every 15-20 minutes or so - even more often if retrieving over rocks. It can save you from the heartbreak of losing a trophy fish, your float and all terminal tackle.
It will also make Chris work harder to find those nice Drennans.  :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 09:04:18 PM »

17lb is over kill.
12lb mono is more then enough. Right now im fishing 10lb mainline on my backup reel, and its doing its job well. But the downside is you start losing a few more floats when breaking off. But steelhead are stupid, doesn't matter what you use. But there always that time and place where it all comes down to the little details.
The Bigger The Better!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:58 PM »

Try P-Line CXX X-tra Strong mono line.
I use 12lb as main on my Curado 201E7 and 15lb as main on my Luna 253L and both work very well.
They are thinner and stronger than UG IMO.
I buy the 600 yd spool and I can normally load up 4 reels with it and save me quite a bit of money.

Another vote for P-Line! Started using it this year on my centerpin and don't think I'd go back to Maxima.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

I've been using Trilene mono 14lb on my low profile for the last two seasons and didn't have any issues with large Chum or Chinook. I may decide to re-spool it with Maxima 12lb for the next coho season in the Cap this year though.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 10:38:56 PM »

17lb is over kill.
No, for big springs in the fall it's not.

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 10:48:04 PM »

No, for big springs in the fall it's not.

Who even wants to touch those stinky whites anyways? They're like stinky work socks after a 14 hour day in the summer.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 11:12:51 PM »

Haha! I release most of the whites I catch, but if I catch a nice smaller one that's nice and fresh I'll keep it and brine and smoke it. I good buddy of mine makes the best smoked white salmon and after hounding him for about a year he finally gave me the recipe for the brine and glaze. A nice clean chum works well too. He pretty much made me swear that even if I had a gun to my head I would not share the recipe as it took him 10 years to perfect!

Milo, good tips on the mainline and leader test diff. I normally try to keep a 5lbish diff between the mainline and leader. Makes sense esp if using different brands. I should probably snip my mainline above the float a bit more often and tie fresh line to the swivel. I try to feel it after each trip and if it's nicked up I'll snip it for sure. I have lost a few beauty fish when my mainline snapped - not good! When fishing for coho I try to check my line often and retie often...nothing worse than losing a thophy hoe to a snapped leader or mainline! When fishing for steelhead honestly my hands are often too cold to be dicking with my gear a lot on the river...prefer to check everything at home and tka emy chances on the river.

Next time I'm in Langley I'm going to check out that P-line and Rapala line at WSS and A&N. Thanks a lot guys!