Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river gravel removal  (Read 1503 times)

Phronesis

Vedder river gravel removal
« on: June 15, 2023, 09:52:29 PM »

https://globalnews.ca/news/9755260/bc-advocates-concerned-about-gravel-mining-salmon-river/?fbclid=IwAR3EPFWZYzhgHSzyaWSH5L2zyH_9w5xM8wikoE8oRMWJjXmmZSnRIa7TAnU

Not much details on the news report other than how it could affect pink salmon and its to prevent flooding, any other info?

jim

Re: Vedder river gravel removal
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 07:07:04 AM »

Details might be in last years news release. I think they were talking 400,000 cubic meters or so. claiming 40k per year used to be adequate but the big flood made it 10x worse. thus 400k needed to be removed. Seems they want/need to do work every year/summer to get it under control, despite the august Pink run. Will FOC sign off on that?
 I saw some places they removed gravel and mud last year, and I noticed none removed from just above the bridges. Gravel is washing down above the bridges and the water has to accelerate there thru the narrow bridge opening.
 So now I wait to see if they access those areas, seems difficult to me.

Phronesis

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2023, 06:06:05 PM »

Details might be in last years news release. I think they were talking 400,000 cubic meters or so. claiming 40k per year used to be adequate but the big flood made it 10x worse. thus 400k needed to be removed. Seems they want/need to do work every year/summer to get it under control, despite the august Pink run. Will FOC sign off on that?
 I saw some places they removed gravel and mud last year, and I noticed none removed from just above the bridges. Gravel is washing down above the bridges and the water has to accelerate there thru the narrow bridge opening.
 So now I wait to see if they access those areas, seems difficult to me.

I see, thanks for the background info.....looks like with each year the flooding will get worse.....I see now why they are more concerned about pink salmon given last pink season saw a terrible flooding event

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2023, 07:04:41 PM »

The bulk of the pink salmon run in the Chilliwack occurs in Sept. I have heard some fish are present in the last days of August but overall the entire Fraser River run times in the last week or so of August into September and even October. So I guess it depends when they intend to dig out gravel and where. Will they be removing productive spawning gravel?
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Phronesis

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2023, 12:24:13 AM »

The bulk of the pink salmon run in the Chilliwack occurs in Sept. I have heard some fish are present in the last days of August but overall the entire Fraser River run times in the last week or so of August into September and even October. So I guess it depends when they intend to dig out gravel and where. Will they be removing productive spawning gravel?

Ya hopefully experts from every field that needs to be involved are consulted before taking any actions....