Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder river fishing  (Read 5458 times)

Mickyireland

Vedder river fishing
« on: July 21, 2021, 08:34:48 AM »

Hi everyone! Greetings from Ireland 🇮🇪 I am looking some information about fishing the vedder this fall. All information is very welcome. I am a fly angler but also fish bait when necessary. Thanks in advance

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder river fishing
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 08:57:30 AM »

The Canadian border is currently closed to international travellers. There’s talk of opening the border to American travellers that are double vaccinated next month. If your allowed to travel and coming to fish the Vedder in the fall for salmon expect large crowds of anglers. Float fishing roe on a short leader is your best bet to entice a salmon to bite.

Mickyireland

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 09:00:58 AM »

Yes the Canadian government announced yesterday that international travel for double vaccination people was allowed from 7 September 2021. Hence the information requested. Is the river water dependent? Thanks for your reply

Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 12:33:15 PM »

Yes the Canadian government announced yesterday that international travel for double vaccination people was allowed from 7 September 2021. Hence the information requested. Is the river water dependent? Thanks for your reply
If you can get into the country and make your way into the Vedder, you will be fine. September and October are  awesome on the river. Bring waders and be ready to hike a bit to get away from the crowds. Rent a car too as there are other great fishing opportunities nearby if you are not feeling the Vedder.
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

Mickyireland

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 01:11:06 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it necessary to hire a guide or can it be done self guided. I am a very experienced angler,

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 02:44:22 PM »

Thank you so much for your reply. Is it necessary to hire a guide or can it be done self guided. I am a very experienced angler,

No need for a guide. If you're experienced, you will have no problem getting into fish

Mickyireland

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 03:45:14 PM »

Thank you so much ! Have a great day

Mickyireland

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 04:11:29 PM »

What’s vehicle access like around the river? Is there parking restrictions or closures ?

Wiseguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 05:12:27 PM »

Vehicle access is good all along the river. Parking however is at your own risk. Do not leave anything of value in you car. Crackheads make the rounds in all the parking areas looking for a quick break and enter.

Old Blue

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 05:47:32 PM »

Rod has lots of YouTube videos providing excellent information and techniques.  Lots of other rivers to try such as the Stave.  There's endless info if you spend the time researching and less snarky responses than an open forum which the same questions have been asked hundreds of times before. 

The search option is your best friend on here

danielk

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 10:02:46 PM »

If I’m not hunting I would be happy to take you. I have a spare bait caster you could use also.   I want to get back into salmon fishing on the vedder. I’ve been spoiled and go on the ocean.  The past few years.  And I’m sure many others on here would be more them happy to take you along.   Most of us Canadians are very nice.  Hahaha     And there vedder isn’t a secret spot soooo no one would be giving up there spots hahahaha.     

And lunch at the pub.   Is a must. They used to have killer nachos. 

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 10:12:04 PM »

Is the river water dependent?
Hey Micky, we hope our first international trip to be a visit to your island so maybe you can return the favour! :)

Yes, the river is quite water dependent. Prior to the the first autumn rain fall, the river runs low and clear. There are salmon present but you have to adapt to the conditions, Typically, but not always, fishing is best in the the lower river and paying attention to the tides can be beneficial. It's generally assumed that bait and the dawn bite is most effective in these conditions. (speaking about coho here.)

After a rain, the fish will migrate more readily upstream and spread out through the system and typically become more bitey.

After a significant rain, the river will "blow out" and become difficult to fish due to the high murky conditions. Typically it drops back into fishable shape within a day or two of the rain stopping.

You'll notice I used the work "typically" a lot. Everyone's mileage varies and everyone has a story that will contradict everything I said! So take them as rules of thumb...

Old Blue's suggestions to watch Rodney's videos is bang on. Rod has a lot of instructive video content about the fall Vedder River salmon fishery.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 10:13:43 PM by clarki »

Mickyireland

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 04:25:05 AM »

Wow ! Thank you so much ! Anytime you need to know anything about Ireland drop me a message. I’m a guide over here! So I’m thinking 3-4 hours after high tide in Vancouver the canal would prob be a good starter. Is the canal section tidal? Not sure with the distance. Also I’m thinking start of October? Not sure what way the coho runs starts. I’m primarily looking coho but any fish would be a lot of fun. I’m guessing float fished roe is the vedder standard?

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »

I would hire a guide for a walk and wade.

Mickyireland

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 07:49:09 AM »

Thank you my friend for your input ! Much appreciated