Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River coho season  (Read 4680 times)

DC1980

Vedder River coho season
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:35:59 PM »

Just wondering when the peak of the coho season is?  I was out today, first time out on this river.  I usually fish the north side but the coho seem to be later on the north side. I tried 4 locations today from the crossing down fishing roe, spinners and jigs but all I could manage were a couple pinks.  Being my first time on this river I wasn't expecting to catch a lot but I was surprised to only see 3 coho caught in over six hours of fishing.  Is it still early for coho?  Was I fishing the wrong spots? Does success in the lower depend on tides?

Thanks for any help

RiverRunner

Re: Vedder River coho season
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:19:53 PM »

you missed peak season by 3 days! all thats left now are dirty pinks and the odd spring.....

DC1980

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »

you missed peak season by 3 days! all thats left now are dirty pinks and the odd spring.....

Thank you that was very helpful!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

It's peaking now even though few are being caught according to your observations.  Sometimes they are just tight lipped.

DC1980

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 08:09:47 PM »

It's peaking now even though few are being caught according to your observations.  Sometimes they are just tight lipped.

Ok thanks. I will try again on my next day off. Are they usually throughout the river or would my chances be better above the crossing?

ninez

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

Ok thanks. I will try again on my next day off. Are they usually throughout the river or would my chances be better above the crossing?

After reading and more reading, I think the answer you will get here is likely to be
"Try it, then you will know" or "You never try, you never know" 

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »

they are throughout the river and continue well into November but finding clean ones after mid November gets pretty tough and you will find most of the fish in the mid to upper reaches by the end of this month
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

DC1980

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 08:33:28 PM »

they are throughout the river and continue well into November but finding clean ones after mid November gets pretty tough and you will find most of the fish in the mid to upper reaches by the end of this month

Thanks that was what i was looking for.  I have been reading a lot. Hit the water at 06:45 this morning.  There was barely anyone near us and I don't know the area at all so that was probably a good indicator the water we were fishing wasn't holding any fish. Oh well i got plenty of practice with my new bait cast rod (still need a lot more).

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 10:47:03 PM »

Its definitely not too early. IME coho are in there from sept to as late as december, but the 'peak', if you can call it that, is through most of October so coho should be throughout the system top to bottom nowadays. You probably are not doing anything wrong. Some days you limit out in an hour, other days they have lockjaw and you cant get a hit to save your life. I find they also come in waves so you get a bunch back to back then absolutely nothing for hours. Its the nature of chasing coho.

There was barely anyone near us and I don't know the area at all so that was probably a good indicator the water we were fishing wasn't holding any fish.

Maybe, but I would not assume that at all. The water changes all the time and what was good one day could be a devoid of life the next and vice versa. Once you get a feel for the type of flow which coho like, you'll find areas of action where there is really no one around you. Other spots seem to be consistently productive which is why you see guys camping out at 5 am to reserve their spot. It may take some leg-work but you will eventually be rewarded and have a nice little spot to add to your repertoire.

Mr.Fisher

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2013, 10:50:25 PM »

This is my first year of Coho fishing I was curious as to what type of water i should be looking for... typically I would fish in the slower water, but I have been seeing people fishing in fast currents with roe on the Vedder R.
Thanks!

Fisher.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:53 AM »

I was fishing below Tamahi away from the rapid snaggers :) I was tossing tiny pieces of procured roe into the seams but for me it was a wild Coho day :)

DC1980

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 07:42:25 AM »

We started the day at very very popular location (based on reading posts in this forum). I wasn't planning on fishing there but when we saw that it wasn't busy we decided to give it at try. I had one brief hookup of something chrome but figured it was probably just a decent pink. The water seemed fairly shallow to me maybe 2 ft in the run. Is the water level fairly low right now and maybe this popular location wasn't holding fish because of the shallower water. I don't have any first hand experience to compare the river's current level to. 

I am sorry to be vague and I understand that this is a difficult question without being specific about location.