Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vedder river in july  (Read 3478 times)

devon42

vedder river in july
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »

i want to try my luck at some trout when the river opens in July but unfortunately i have no idea on what to do
can anyone tell me something about fishing the river for trout in July?
I'm not asking for hot spots or anything just what seemes to work and what method of fishing works...
i want to try on the fly and Ive never fished a river on the fly so maybe a quick explanation would help alot

rides bike to work

Re: vedder river in july
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »

dry fly in the evening can be very effective I usually fish the shallows and pockets of calmer water in the lower river.Remember these fish are steel head smolts so take it easy on them they are quite small 6-8 inches but still a bit of fun.boober and jensen egg work well in deeper back waters good for bringing the kids out.I have also fished bait on the bottom and had good action with suckers northern pike minow and white fish the kids had a blast with these larger bottom fish.I heard they released the trout(steel head smolts ) last month so mabey they will have a chance to grow a bit and the majority will head to the ocean props to fisheries for saving some of these fish from the bucket brigades

Jace

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:44:57 PM »

Sorry to hijack thread, but how are the springs in early July ?
Thinking of going camping for a few nights and fishing all day, before July 15th.......

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »

Fishing the Vedder around opening day you must keep in mind that the water levels will still be up, and quite swift. The Chinook fishing always seems to pick up as the water levels drop and closer to the end of july.

Trout fishing, keep in mind that these are steelhead smolts released by the hatchery, In hopes that that will return as large adult steelhead. By killing them early as juveniles you maybe be eliminating that 10-20 pound steelhead that would be returning in the future. Also why do people kill these juvenile trout, your lucky to even get a mouth full after there cooked up, why not let them live and smack one over the head when it returns as a 15 pound bullet? I know some do for what ever reason choose not to return to salt water, and stay in freshwater but this is not always the case. Think about it.

These fish are stupid, you can catch them anywhere with anything, just fish around structure.
The Bigger The Better!

devon42

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:55:23 PM »

im not looking to kill any forsure.. im just gunna bring the fly rod along cuz im sure ill be sick of not seeing my float  going down with a spring on it but im going to try anyways im just wondering what kind of line i need to have on and a good working fly to fish for some trout see if i can get one on the fly