Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Garbage Dumping On The Fraser  (Read 6753 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Garbage Dumping On The Fraser
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »

This should most likely be under fishing-related Issues & News but more people view this part of FWR.

On the weekend at the end of Old Orchard Road I saw a camper dumped off on the sand bar and was partly smashed up, also garbage dumped all over this area. I was concerned that the rising water from the freshet would sweep it all downstream.

I contacted some local governments to see if they could provide a front end load and truck to pick it up as was too much for volunteers but have had no takers to date but one government agency today is trying to get funds to deal with it.

Today I went down again to film the mess and found someone had smashed the camper to bits. One can see why we lose access because of the actions of a few who care little about the environment.     

Rodney has some before and after pictures of the camper or you can go to the Fraser Valley Salmon Society face book page to see some photos. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fraser-Valley-Salmon-Society/111769675563789

Video Clips--- http://youtu.be/S9zB0CmJvpA

http://youtu.be/tIMERNrkhuQ

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Garbage Dumping On The Fraser
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 04:10:06 PM »

Hey Chris I just watched the video on facebook. Absolutely disgusting, shame on the person who dumped it. Try and submit it to the news station or something, then hopefully the culprit will maybe and hopefully come to terms with what they have done - the only punishment for this type of thing is public shaming!

Do those campers have any serial numbers on it? could be useful to track the owner!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 04:55:14 PM »

Hey Chris I just watched the video on facebook. Absolutely disgusting, shame on the person who dumped it. Try and submit it to the news station or something, then hopefully the culprit will maybe and hopefully come to terms with what they have done - the only punishment for this type of thing is public shaming!

Do those campers have any serial numbers on it? could be useful to track the owner!
Checked it today with a CO today but we could not find anything. The problem we have is there is not enough CO's to try and catch these uncaring people, environmental issues are low on most government's agendas. :(

I have sent this to some media but they have covered this type of things many times as it is rampant throughtout our Province and will remain so until the government comes up with money to hire more enforcement staff to catch this people and prosecute them.

The Chilliwack Vedder River Cleanup Society has been cleaning up the Chilliwack Vedder River for 10 years and each year it seems to not get much better. www.cleanrivers.ca. Unfortunately many anglers litter too, throwing a coffee cup here, some line there, we have all seen that. 

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 08:26:37 PM »

Is it really up to the CO's to combat these issues , is this out of the RCMP's jurisdiction's .  ??? If I were to witness such an stupid act like this ,the first thought would be to call the RCMP and not a CO  :-\
just my 2 cents
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 08:27:50 PM »

Unfortunately many anglers litter too, throwing a coffee cup here, some line there, we have all seen that. 

Too often.  I walked into a run last weekend and found two timmy cups sitting neatly on the ground.
Not all those who wander are lost

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »

Too often.  I walked into a run last weekend and found two timmy cups sitting neatly on the ground.
Pick them up and pack them out! Thats what i do,coffee cups,fishing line,beer cans,pop cans etc,picked up and packed out!

fish bonk

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 11:14:45 PM »

Did you roll up the rim ;D

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 11:24:45 PM »

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »

Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be down there at 3:30 pm today to clean up the mess and people are welcome to join and help out.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:15:26 PM »

Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be down there at 3:30 pm today to clean up the mess and people are welcome to join and help out.
We have been able to line up a truck and trailer at the last movement, thanks Steve. We will be trying to deal with some of the mess this afternoon, April 12, as time is not in our favour as the river is on the rise and will soon wash the camper etc. away.

Anyone that may wish and able to help feel free to drop by as right now we are crew of 2. We will be there starting at 3:30, sorry for the short notice. We are hoping for some press coverage of the cleanup.

RossP

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »

Wish I could get the time off work to help, thanks for arranging the clean up of the morons who did this.
I Love Hunting, golf and anything else that keeps others off the water.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 01:37:11 PM »

Person started out being a "liter-bug" as a teen I bet.

Fast food garbage thrown to the side of the road.

Then when he grew up, he needed to get rid of a camper.
Dump fees he thought were too costly so he got the very bright idea & decided to dump it next to the mighty Fraser R. ??? :o

Welcome to beautiful Supernatural British Columbia.

( he has a messy bedrm too "assumption " )

Good on ya folks for taking the time to correct this.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 06:10:05 PM »

Posting this for Chris.

Good evening all,

We were able to get at this today as we had 10 of us that spent a little over 2 hours filling up the trucks. We did not get all of it but did remove all the camper and other fire pits that were close to the present water's edge.Thanks to Steve from the Conservation Service who got a number of CO's out to help along with Lew, Terry, as well as John from the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources Operations who brought a truck along. Also to Jennifer from the Chilliwack Progress for covering the story by being there on site to help with the public awareness of what we are faced with  here in the Valley, watch for the story next week.

Thanks also to the City of Chilliwack for proving free tipping charges at the landfill for us.

We all felt good I am sure as we did make some difference today.

Regards and thanks to all that were able to take part.

Chris

daijoubu

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »

Thank you for all the hard work!  I'm making sure my son learns to always leave the river cleaner than when he got there.   

fishbuster

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 11:33:08 PM »

Well done Chris, and to all those who participated.