Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pink For The Table?  (Read 1883 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Pink For The Table?
« on: September 26, 2011, 06:41:02 PM »

Very seldom fish for pink salmon or retain one but did the other day.

We cooked it up tonight and the quality and table fare was excellent. Donot scorn a fresh run pink. ;D

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Pink For The Table?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »

You are quite right.
I have also found out recently that for certain dishes, pinks are excellent table fare due to their mild flavour and texture.

Stuart Dickinson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:50:17 PM »

There's a lot of fish snobbery out there, Pinks are a great eating fish when fresh.  They are actuallly my preferred Pacific species for fishcakes.  I know Rod has his recipe, mine's a little different:

Red Onion
Parboiled Potatoes
Healthy amount of fresh chopped Coriander/Cilantro
Healthy amount of Fresh Lime Juice
Fresh Cracked Salt & Pepper
Panko Crust

I like to make them pretty coarse and chunky, and serve with mayonnaise mixed with salt, lime juice and minced fresh chillies and left in the fridge for a couple of hours.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »

There's a lot of fish snobbery out there, Pinks are a great eating fish when fresh.  They are actuallly my preferred Pacific species for fishcakes.  I know Rod has his recipe, mine's a little different:

Red Onion
Parboiled Potatoes
Healthy amount of fresh chopped Coriander/Cilantro
Healthy amount of Fresh Lime Juice
Fresh Cracked Salt & Pepper
Panko Crust

I like to make them pretty coarse and chunky, and serve with mayonnaise mixed with salt, lime juice and minced fresh chillies and left in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Yes I am most likely guilty of that as well but fresh ones like we dined on tonight, one word, delicious.

Thanks for the recipe too.

Stuart Dickinson

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

Yes I am most likely guilty of that as well but fresh ones like we dined on tonight, one word, delicious.

Thanks for the recipe too.

Don't worry, you're nowhere near as guilty as some... I'm now living in South Florida (back in Vancouver 2 months out of the year though) and was out fishing for Snook at night around a couple of the bridges in Biscayne Bay.  I caught a Jack Crevalle of about 2 lbs and asked a guy who was cast netting for live mullet whether they were good eating or not.  His reply?  "You can eat it if you want, but that's a nigger fish...."

I was so shocked I just stood there in disbelief for at least 5 minutes.  Can't believe some people, in 2011