Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wading For Sockeye  (Read 3218 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Wading For Sockeye
« on: August 29, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Wading For Sockeye
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 11:06:17 PM »

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 11:28:05 PM »

The water in that second video is just bookin' along!  Where was that?

The first - top of Peg?...  that water is slow and not very deep... as long as you're in shorts and a T, it's a simple matter of standing up if you fall down...    Obviously if things go sideways you should ditch the rod and just worry about getting out.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 11:43:15 PM »

The water in that second video is just bookin' along!  Where was that?

The first - top of Peg?...  that water is slow and not very deep... as long as you're in shorts and a T, it's a simple matter of standing up if you fall down...    Obviously if things go sideways you should ditch the rod and just worry about getting out.
End of Gill and the first below Peg, off Ballam. The chap in the red is out a little far I think, fall down and?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 12:40:12 AM »

Guys standing in the middle of the river while the sockeyes are swimming behind them. ;D

sugartooth

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 12:50:33 AM »

Chris , in the second video did that guy bonk a foul hooked fish and then toss it back once he was told its a huge fine to keep it?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 04:08:30 AM »

Chris , in the second video did that guy bonk a foul hooked fish and then toss it back once he was told its a huge fine to keep it?
You got ears. ;D I believe he was going to but having it roll around on the beach in the sand before putting it back is not a good practice.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 12:46:15 PM »

in that first video i could see myself out there casting my fly/spey rod because there was enough room between each guy to do so  ;D

did you see those waded out guys getting into fish though ? I have seen guys wade out and get nothing so they wade further and further only to go swimming  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 08:33:07 PM »

in that first video i could see myself out there casting my fly/spey rod because there was enough room between each guy to do so  ;D

did you see those waded out guys getting into fish though ? I have seen guys wade out and get nothing so they wade further and further only to go swimming  ::)

I think I'm the guy in blue and white in this video, I didn't catch anything.  I think I was flossing improperly (first time trying it).  I did not reel in after I cast, and just let the bounce betty bounce on its own. An older gentleman with 2 of his friends hooked 5 fish.  He handed off his rod to his friend 3 times and that friend lost 2 out of the 3 as he dragged it towards the beach.  I think about 1/3 of the people out here caught something.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 01:00:54 AM »

your bouncing the same way i do. I cast, click the free spool off just after it hits the water and then just let it bounce along and set the hook when it sticks to a fish. The more you do it the better your feel will be for what is fish and what are rocks as it bounces along.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 08:42:01 AM »

your bouncing the same way i do. I cast, click the free spool off just after it hits the water and then just let it bounce along and set the hook when it sticks to a fish. The more you do it the better your feel will be for what is fish and what are rocks as it bounces along.

Thanks for the tip Hook. I could feel the bounce and once in a while, it would hit a snag.  The the problem is I have no idea whether the snag is a fish or the hook snagged a piece of rock.  When I pull harder, the hook frees itself from a rock or a fish. I guess it's not that simple.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »

Nope - that's pretty much it.

If the "rock" starts to pulse, you've probably got a fish.   I always look down river to see if I have a fisherman before declaring the great call of "fish on!" :)