Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Picture Journal of the Chilliwack River Valley  (Read 6585 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
A Picture Journal of the Chilliwack River Valley
« on: July 02, 2008, 12:00:39 AM »

Well it was another long weekend so time to tour the Valley to see how the garbage conditions were. You will remember how bad it was on the May long weekend.

I was pleasantly surprised to see conditions were a lot better but the Bench Road area is still a mess a lot of it still there from my last tour a month ago.

I started a the Vedder by the freeway bridge where you see my first picture was of a mallard duck family.

The pictures go on to show 2 burnt our cars, one was on the Trans Canada Trail and a car with no plates, most likely stolen. One of the burnt ones nearly started a forest fire. I shoot some pictures of some beautiful mountains that surround the river and the lake. Chilliwack Lake looks inviting as a boat and occupants enjoy the majestic mountains that surround this lovely pierce of water and then Chilliwack River that is so clear a mile down from the lake, not like the silty ladened waters below.

A nice spawning channel just off the main river, it was presently full of coho fry. Of course a couple of garbage pictures that shows there is some that still want to mar the beautiful Chilliwack River Valley.

Maybe one day these people's attitude will change, lets hope so.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: A Picture Journal of the Chilliwack River Valley
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 08:00:49 AM »

Ah Chris there are no pictures........ ;D so it can't be a picture journal.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 10:31:54 AM »

Ah Chris there are no pictures........ ;D so it can't be a picture journal.
Rodney is looking after that when he has time, I have not fiqured it out yet  ::) ??? and going fishing now anyway. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:16:23 AM »

Messy campers better on weekend
By Jennifer Feinberg - Chilliwack Progress - July 02, 2008   

Burned out vehicles dotted the landscape and one of them almost started a forest fire, but long weekend campers caused less damage than usual in the Chilliwack River Valley.

“Even though I saw two recently burnt-out cars and an apparently stolen one with no plates, I thought the garbage issue looked better,” said Chris Gadsden of the Chilliwack-Vedder River Cleanup Coalition.

He had praise for the efforts of the Chilliwack River Valley Citizens on Patrol, and other agencies in enforcing the new no-camping and no overnight parking rules.

“Small steps are making a positive difference,” he said.

Gadsden estimated it cost him about $35 to drive up to Chilliwack Lake and back on Monday, with some stops along side roads to assess the area.

“Many campsites from Tamahi to Chilliwack Lake were in excellent shape and some campers had left their camping sites spotless,” he said.

But there’s more to be done to prevent illegal camping.

“I think we may need more campsites in the area especially now with the price of gas more people will try to camp closer to home,” he said. “Also the need for more Conservation Officers is high on my agenda as we I feel have not addressed the growing population growth here in the Lower Mainland.”

The area covered by Section 58, from the Vedder Bridge to Tamahi, was in good shape but he found one group of overnight campers hidden away by the Boulder Hole.

“The Bench Road area needs improvement and a lot of the garbage was still there

from the last long weekend.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:06:20 PM »

Wheres the pics? LOL
Rodney is letting me down. ;D I am too busy fishing ;D ;D to work on figuring them out how to post them, maybe I should send them to you to post. ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:51:56 PM »

Chris it's really simple. Just download them to photobucket, once they are downloaded, 4 links will appear underneath each photo. The last one is called the "IMG CODE". Click on that code and it should say "copied" by your mouse. Just take that and paste it onto a post and the pictures should show up. Hope you can follow that, if not just send me the pics and Ill up them for ya  ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:40:22 PM »

Chris it's really simple. Just download them to photobucket, once they are downloaded, 4 links will appear underneath each photo. The last one is called the "IMG CODE". Click on that code and it should say "copied" by your mouse. Just take that and paste it onto a post and the pictures should show up. Hope you can follow that, if not just send me the pics and Ill up them for ya  ;)
Thanks, will try following your directions and thanks for the offer but Ghost fish was so kind to put them up for me.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 11:54:08 PM »

Cool.... kinda cool to see you're willing to spend alot of money on gas just to show people what is going on up in the valley. Good on ya Chris, you're a great help to the forum and to all the people out on the river  ;)

On a side note.... have you been out for Springs with any luck yet this year, maybe you could PM me or email me later  ???

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 08:11:26 AM »

some good and bad photos. got some time on ur hand now that ur not steelheading i guess.
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 11:00:26 AM »

Just a reminder of the CVRCC cleanup this Saturday July 12 and we will try to deal with some of the mess in the photo's above. Go to www.cleanrivers.ca for more details and I just ordered the donuts, cookies, coffee, muffins etc., about 30 dozen this time as we ran out last time and the directors were down my neck about that. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 11:25:08 PM by chris gadsden »

Lew Chater

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 09:05:45 PM »

Our CVRCC site is actually   www.cleanrivers.ca    Hope to see a good turnout for the cleanup or we are going to have a lot of donuts left over!
Fishing is not a matter of Life or Death... it's more important ~!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »

I have arranged a meeting with an Provincial Environment employee to discuss this issue on Wednesday.

Please add your comments and possible constructive solutions I can add to my list. Thanks for your help and now to The Journal.

BOWHUNTER

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 01:22:53 PM »

Good to see some people really care gadsden, I was up at Chipmunk this passed weekend and had some problems with a whole group of out of control garbage tossers, we were able to get the cops up there who swiftly kicked them out and took all of their license plates without telling them as I talked to him after he said he will send 1 ticket per plate for a list of things so that was nice to hear, its a great place but someday it will be wrecked for all of us if we dont all pitch in

Whats the plan?

Cheers

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 11:11:29 PM »

Good to see some people really care gadsden, I was up at Chipmunk this passed weekend and had some problems with a whole group of out of control garbage tossers, we were able to get the cops up there who swiftly kicked them out and took all of their license plates without telling them as I talked to him after he said he will send 1 ticket per plate for a list of things so that was nice to hear, its a great place but someday it will be wrecked for all of us if we dont all pitch in

Whats the plan?

Cheers

We hope to formulate one at Wednesday's meeting but is not a easy fix if the government does not committ the resources and the needed funding.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:24:52 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 01:20:44 AM »

While on patrol with the CO yesterday things were a lot better in the areas we checked than they were on previous long weekends, not perfect but a lot better. We have to solve the problem of people cleaning up their sites but putting it on the side of the road as bears and birds get into it. Looking at maybe placing a dumpster where the Bench Road meets the Chilliwack Lake Road but will have to be enclosed as the bears and birds will get in. Then some people try to set them on fire.

At the meeting we had last week one of the things I also suggested was putting up mileage posts along the Chilliwack Lake Road and major side roads as it will help response teams find where a mishap, injuries and problem areas are when called in.