Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser River Flood Threat Segement On Global  (Read 7577 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Fraser River Flood Threat Segement On Global
« on: March 09, 2007, 04:22:38 PM »

I had a meeting with Solicitor General John Les on some issues this afternoon. He informed he was out on the Fraser River with Global TV anchor Robin Stickley looking at the Fraser River this morning, discussing the potential for a devastating flood this year. This coverage should be on Global news this evening for anyone interested.

I am glad John has been able to secure funding to start work on some weak dike area's in the Fraser Valley and below. He also has instructed his Provincial staff to gather information from all third levels of government and other agencies about the areas of diking that need attention. John is now meeting with the Feds as well to hopefully get them to pitch in a few million dollars.

With more than two months to go before a flood could happen it will give time I think to get some work done to shore up some weak area's of our diking system.

To be on the safe side the Leaf Craft is ready to roll in the flood waters, anyone think they will need a ride. ;D ;D ;D

Mike D.

Re: Fraser River Flood Threat Segement On Global
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 04:33:27 PM »

Was there any talk about dredging the river? I guess I will have to watch global tonight.......the river has come up a tiny bit...so if it stays warm like it is now...hopefully we can gradually get rid of some snow  :D .....I was told by the local SAR that the area where my house is will be the 1st area to flood in the upper valley.... :'(....on the sad side...they can spend all this money on improving the dikes...but still that only can prevent so much....just to think...they can still blow....and sometimes water can leak through them aswell...that happend here at home when the last flood threat came...the water pushed a small hole under the dike.....luckily we could get more gravel in there to stop it before she blew!

anyone know where I can get a ton of sacks for sandbags. cheap?

Mike <"))))))><
« Last Edit: March 09, 2007, 04:35:47 PM by Mike D. »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:13:08 PM »

Saw part of it on TV and they said they were at Boston Bar when obviously they were by Chilliwack. ALso showed a less than impressive amount of sand bags as first line defence against the pending flood. If they don't know were they are it's hard to imagine they know where there going. :-\

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Mike D.

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 11:14:39 PM »

It will be sad if it does flood  :-\ as we all know that it could of been prevented....

Mike <")))))))><

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 12:09:16 AM »

Saw part of it on TV and they said they were at Boston Bar when obviously they were by Chilliwack. ALso showed a less than impressive amount of sand bags as first line defence against the pending flood. If they don't know were they are it's hard to imagine they know where there going. :-\

They called it Foster Bar which is a name I have never heard before but the footage was taken at Peg Leg.

Schenley

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 08:36:26 AM »

It will be sad if it does flood   as we all know that it could of been prevented....

How?? If you live in a flood plain, you have to realize that man cant always prevent natural disasters.

If the Fraser goes wild, someone, somewhere in the valley is going to be swimming....

Mike D.

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 09:15:06 AM »

It will be sad if it does flood   as we all know that it could of been prevented....

How?? If you live in a flood plain, you have to realize that man cant always prevent natural disasters.

If the Fraser goes wild, someone, somewhere in the valley is going to be swimming....

Well they could of dredged the river for one, deeper river, less loose gravel on the bottom..hmmmmm I wonder if that would help prevent it at all...people being interviewed in the newspapers even said that it could be prevented!

Mike <")))))))><

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser River Flood Threat Segment On Global
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 10:03:47 AM »

It will be sad if it does flood   as we all know that it could of been prevented....

Well they could of dredged the river for one, deeper river, less loose gravel on the bottom..hmmmmm I wonder if that would help prevent it at all...people being interviewed in the newspapers even said that it could be prevented!Mike <")))))))><

Not even close Mike.

It's your home that's being threatened now so you' re  concerned.

But the fact is that if you were thinking when you bought that place you wouldn't have touched that house knowing that sooner or later it was all going to be underwater like so many times in the past.

Manage nature?

All it takes is more and more and more money.How many of my tax dollars should go to bailing out-literally-people who made poor decisions?

Dredge the river more?

As soon as that started someone would be on here howling and crying about the destruction of the world's #1 Salmon river-and they'd be right.

EDIT-edited for grammatical error.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 11:25:33 AM by Sam Salmon »

CAPTAIN BONK

• Old Timer
  • THERE'S NO HEAD BETTER THEN STEELHEAD !
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 11:37:08 AM »

^ UR A BEAUTY CARL !

Mike D.

Re: Fraser River Flood Threat Segment On Global
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »

Well they could of dredged the river for one, deeper river, less loose gravel on the bottom..hmmmmm I wonder if that would help prevent it at all...people being interviewed in the newspapers even said that it could be prevented!Mike <")))))))><

Not even close Mike.

It's your home that's being threatened now so you' re  concerned.

But the fact is that if you were thinking when you bought that place you wouldn't have touched that house knowing that sooner or later it was all going to be underwater like so many times in the past.

Manage nature?

All it takes is more and more and more money.How many of my tax dollars should go to bailing out-literally-people who made poor decisions?

Dredge the river more?

As soon as that started someone would be on here howling and crying about the destruction of the world's #1 Salmon river-and they'd be right.

EDIT-edited for grammatical error.

Nice to see your opinion on the matter...and no I'm not just concerned for my house and land as my house is fine.it is built up quite a bit so only the base ment will contain water.....I'm also very concerned for the fish and wildlife that could be at stake....

wish when my ancestors who came over from scotland in 1901 would have picked a better 500 acre plot of land to grow the family roots on....shucks... ::)..although I guess we could of built our house in one of those squishy up on the mountain clutters what are they called.....oh subdivisions...thats it...

Well you can look at it this way too Sam, you either see your tax dollars go towards the improvment of dikes (60-70% prevention), dredging of the fraser river (probably about 90-95% prevention) or your tax dollars can go towards the flood victims fund to help get victims homes and property back on track...hmm....your choice...and BTW they used to dredge the river quite a bit in the past....and it had no affect on the fraser rivers "fish population" at all.....although you could define the "destruction" that dredging has on the river? I'd like to hear this....I think it would be better than gravel removal off of gravel bars...

Just some of my opinions on the matter...everyone has their own..so don't be slamming mine either.

Mike <")))))))><

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 01:40:02 PM »

Sort of hard to say what's worse flooding or dredging when it comes to salmon habitat. I guess the timing of when it occurs is more important. It's pretty obvious that the canal is man made and I read about the big lake that used to form at the lower Vedder at times. Holland has dykes to keep the sea out and we have them to keep water off productive land. All good in my opinion if it stops people from losing there home.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 05:52:20 PM »

Make sure your boat is tied to the house. ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 11:08:59 PM »

When one looks at the mass of gravel out there I really donot think you could find enough machinery, equipment or resources to take enough gravel out of there to really make much of a difference.

As well if you look at all the places they dug last year on both the Vedder and and the Fraser all the holes they dug have been filled in again.

I am not an engineer or know anything about river hydraulics but when you start loosing up gravel doesn't it start to shift around more as well as spoiling good spawning gravel.

I believe they used to take gravel right out of the Coquitlam River. They would take it off the non wetted area and during the next high water it would move to that side of the river. Next they would then take it from the other side, next high water it would reverse sides again. This I am told went on for years until the Coquitlam Fish and Game Club put pressure on and that practiced stopped but not before most of the good spawning gravel was removed. Of course then gravel mining moved to the hillsides and the runoff from that did more damage but that is another story.

It looks like this practice is going to happen on the Chilliwack with the start of gravel mining at Vedder Crossing all in the name of flood protection. ::) ???
« Last Edit: March 10, 2007, 11:11:06 PM by chris gadsden »

Noel

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 12:04:51 PM »

Dredging sections of a river bed makes no difference in the level of water at all.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2007, 12:07:28 PM by Noel »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »

Maybe they could dredge only the sand out to use for sandbags? Then go do the same thing on the Coquitlam. Leaving the heavier rock and gravel behind. :-\