Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coho Season Over, December 3rd  (Read 12198 times)

CohoOn!

Re: Coho Season Over, December 3rd
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2005, 01:23:59 PM »

Could it be that some people on this forum need a lesson on what constitutes a fishing report? ;)
 Fishing reports first a foremost should always provide the system of water fished (not neccessarily the exact pool you happened to be standing over) along with the date and time of day fished. In addition the water's clarity, level and whether it appeared to be rising or falling. Also, information on numbers of other anglers, what fish were caught using which type of gear & tackle and your impression of the overall condition and number of fish still remaining in the system. Photos are appreciated if you have a camera and your photo first needs to have a URL, which means it needs to be hosted on the web somewhere.  Place the URL between the codes img and /img with each code inside it's own set of squared style brackets [].
And of course all the later information is useless if the system of water fished is not first provided. What it really becomes is simply a topic for General Discussion and in my opinion belongs to be posted there or better still create your own group email list of like minded individuals and title it "The Boasty Boys"  ;D and simply fire these back and forth amongst yourselves.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 01:47:10 PM by CohoOn! »
Long May Yer Big Jib Draw!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2005, 01:50:25 PM »

I guess CohoOn is now a moderator. I guess because he has 20posts he is an expert on what is a "Fishing Report" If you dont like the report because the system is not mentioned than dont read it. Some of us just like reading reports even if the system is not mentioned. Why does it need to be mentioned? A report can be a story about your day out fishing without providing a name of the river or lake.

Keep them coming boys I enjoy your reports and pics.

To anyone that needs to know the flow I suggest you start going out more and exploring. Some of us have been putting in years finding these spots.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2005, 02:02:19 PM »

While I agree that names and places would help some, I still have to agree with Eddie, we had to look and search to find our spots. I feel that a person will take much more pride out of it if they find there fish for them selves! ;D ;D
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

cohoslayer1

• Bring on the steelhead
« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2005, 03:12:14 PM »

I went out to a local river on monday for a couple of  hours. When i first got there it was really clear and can see about 30 coho. I hook a couple but never landed any of them but had a good time when i was there

Using my trusty blade hooked them, not stinky roe

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2005, 03:24:24 PM »

I went out to a local river on monday for a couple of  hours. When i first got there it was really clear and can see about 30 coho. I hook a couple but never landed any of them but had a good time when i was there

This late in the year try using the fly if you have a fly setup. Its alot more fun. I havent used my drift rod in the last while and catching them on the fly instead. Tons of fun!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2005, 03:47:34 PM »

This late in the year try using the fly if you have a fly setup. Its alot more fun. I havent used my drift rod in the last while and catching them on the fly instead. Tons of fun!!!

two questions? what are you using to catch the dollys? (fly) and what's a good fly for late season salmon?

THE_ROE_SLINGER

• Old Timer
  • Roe Wizzard
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2005, 03:49:40 PM »

It is not late in the year for coho  at all..maybe for big river systems such as the vedder. This is when i start fishing for coho and slay them on roe sacks and blades.
weeeeeeeeeow!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2005, 04:19:13 PM »

two questions? what are you using to catch the dollys? (fly) and what's a good fly for late season salmon?

Here are a few patterns

Coho Blue

Hook: #2-10
Thread: 6/0 Fl. Orange
Body: Silver Diamond Braid
Wing: White, Chartreuse, Blue Calf tail

Sockeye Woolly Bugger
Hook: 8 - 2 Streamer
Thread: 6/0 hot orange
Tail: Bright green marabou
Body: Green crystal chenille
Hackle: Yellow/bright green saddle

Here's a link to an awesome fly and instructions on how to tie it.
http://www.ospreyflyfishers.com/id75.htm

Also anything blue or green with flash.

Hope this is helpful

Belong to the "4 F Club"

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2005, 04:22:21 PM »

if i get out on "our" system this weekend eddie, i'm definitely gonna try the fly rod! any tips on which flies have been working well for you lately?

P.S. I think fishing reports are more about the story and motivating the reader to get out and try! It's like the steelhead fishing thread, the people who don't understand the steelhead mentality also seem to be the ones that want ridiculously detailed reports. Fishing isn't all about catching, it's about the adventure; so read a few reports to get you motivated and go try wherever the hell you thik there may be fish, gosh......idiot. ;D

Havent been out on the local in a couple weeks. I was fishing out east. Just remember one of the local flows is now closed for coho. Its also a good idea to leave those coho alone and not even catch and release on that flow. If you dont know which flow it is just PM me.

I wish I was fishing this weekend. Since my kids wont be home I need to finish my xmas shopping. I have been fishing every weekend and have barely done any so I plan on finishing it this weekend. Might sneak out on Sunday to the local flow for a couple hours targetting cutties with my new Sage 6wt ;D

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Veritas

« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2005, 04:39:41 PM »

Eddie, you're so concerned with not giving away all 'your secret' systems yet you pretty much give them away through blatant clues. Your profile indicates where you live and you often refer to these systems as your 'local flows'. You're also giving away clues such as when these sytems close for retention. Not to hard for any hack to pick up a copy of the regs and see whats open and whats closed. I don't know what type of internet hero you think you are, bragging about how great you are and then not sharing with others. By stating that you went out and caught a bunch of coho, how does this help anyone. You don't give names, water conditions, any insight into techniques (other than nameing flys) and you're not even willing to post a picture to at least make your dribble entertaining. If you have nothing useful to contribute, keep it to yourself.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2005, 04:54:53 PM »

Eddie, you're so concerned with not giving away all 'your secret' systems yet you pretty much give them away through blatant clues. Your profile indicates where you live and you often refer to these systems as your 'local flows'. You're also giving away clues such as when these sytems close for retention. Not to hard for any hack to pick up a copy of the regs and see whats open and whats closed. I don't know what type of internet hero you think you are, bragging about how great you are and then not sharing with others. By stating that you went out and caught a bunch of coho, how does this help anyone. You don't give names, water conditions, any insight into techniques (other than nameing flys) and you're not even willing to post a picture to at least make your dribble entertaining. If you have nothing useful to contribute, keep it to yourself.

Another newbie trying to take his shots.

I didn't have my camera with me on the weekend and don't find that I need to take pics of every fish I catch. I was not even fishing my local flow this past weekend, and haven't for a couple weeks. Who said I was trying to help anyone with my report? Is the section called the "Tips and Location Section" because I thought it was called "Fishing Reports" Are their rules on what a fishing report should include? If so please show me where it says that. I don't claim to be a hero and I help anyone with tips and techniques that want to know. I have also shown people some of my spots that want to join me for the day. I just don't blurt out everything unlike some. I am always willing to take a new person out. It has nothing to do with being a hero. A hero is a person like a firefighter, policeman etc has nothing to do with being a fisherman  :P

Why don't you go read some of my past posts. I have given out many techniques.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 06:27:23 PM by eddie99 »

Belong to the "4 F Club"

kellya

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: December 06, 2005, 06:16:22 PM »

Nothing wrong about posting a report and not naming the system in most cases its a better idea. Some just like to read reports. For those that complain because people are not telling them where to fish go look around yourselves.  ???

mark

« Reply #57 on: December 06, 2005, 07:18:31 PM »

Ver good point if people have a profile where they live and say they are fishing a local flow its pretty easy to figure out by the regs. ;)

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: December 06, 2005, 07:24:31 PM »

Ver good point if people have a profile where they live and say they are fishing a local flow its pretty easy to figure out by the regs. ;)

Ya but than they have to take the time to "explore" the rivers. The local flows are not always better than any other flows. So go ahead and spend $40 on gas, 12 hours exploring the river and still getting skunked. The main reason I fish these local flows is because they are close to my home. If I lived in say Abbotsford I would be fishing local flows as well but than they would be different flows than where I am now wouldn't they.

I will tell you this much. I will not spend $40 on gas to fish some creek that I know nothing about.

Belong to the "4 F Club"

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #59 on: December 06, 2005, 08:09:36 PM »

Went back out today, more Dolly Varden, Coho and Rainbows. 8)

Rainbow:

I also did Coho broodstock today, took 1 wild for it. :)