Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: got a new rod  (Read 3823 times)

Troy_604

got a new rod
« on: February 02, 2007, 10:03:30 AM »

And iv never touched a fly rod in my life :D  its a martin 8 foot 7/8 wt rod.  could i use it for pinks, springs, and steelhead?  how do i know what reel i should get?

im fairly new to the fishing thing, let alone fly fishing. 

thanks

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: got a new rod
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 10:19:43 AM »

Hi Troy: IMO since you are just getting into flyfishing you should probably try for an inexpensive reel with a disc drag.  For instance, Fenwick has some reels in that category and so does Dragonfly. That should put you back about 70 bucks including taxes, and then a floating and sink tip line for the reel plus backing.  All told including the reel you will probaby be spending at least 200 bucks for those items.  Also, if you are not in a hurry to use the rod, keep your eye on the "Buy and Sell" section as some real good deals on used stuff  shows up every now and then.  The Martin fly rod shoud be able to get you into some pinks.  However, the rod being only 8 feet long will make it a challenge IMO if you are planning to use it on the Vedder River to punch out those long casts for Steelhead. In addition, I would not try it on Springs as they would stress that rod to the max and beyond. My two cents worth.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 10:28:50 AM by dennyman »

Troy_604

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:35:01 PM »

awsome, thanks for the advice.

should my reel 7/8's wt too?

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:06:26 PM »

Yes that would be a good match for the rod that you have.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

IMO that rod is a bit short for a 7/8wt. You want a 9' rod. I would NOT target springs on that rod as you will stress the fish trying to play them or break your rod. My buddy broke his 7wt Loop this year on a Harrison Spring. I use a 9/10wt for springs. For pinks this rod would be fine but does it have a fighting butt on it? I know some of those shorter 7/8wts dont have that on them.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Troy_604

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 04:24:20 PM »

thanks for the insight guys.  bbronswyk, my rod isnt a fighting butt model

Xgolfman

• Old Timer
  • Wild rivers, wild fish
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »

i'm going to use a 6wt for pinks this year...but an 8 wt for springs is a little light...i'm 9wt for that too...

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 05:04:13 PM »

i'm going to use a 6wt for pinks this year...but an 8 wt for springs is a little light...i'm 9wt for that too...

I use a 6wt for pinks as well but its a 9' rod. One a longer rod give you more control, two it loads the line better making it easier to cast. Someone new to flyfishing is going to have a longer learning curve on a shorter rod. Usually the shorter rods are for the lighter weight rods. I would never buy a rod shorter than 7'6 personally. Just bought a new St.Croix 8' 4piece 4wt for cutthroat.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family