Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly line queston  (Read 3186 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Fly line queston
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »

I need a floating Line for my 6wt. Should i get a 7wt line?? also I need a decent line for the buck, im not rich. Is there a decent line in the 40$ range?? I will mostly be fishing chronie with this line.

thanks

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
Re: Fly line queston
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 05:53:02 PM »

Why would you get a 7wt for a 6wt? $40 is not much for a fly line. You might be able to find a Cortland 333 in a 6wt for that price.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:29:13 PM »

You can pick up a SA airflow within that price range. I own two of them, however they are both used almost exclusively for chronimid fishing to which they serve their purpose quite well. Can't really comment on how they perform in river situations, which is what I presume you are looking to use it.
Actions speak louder than words.

Stone

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 06:57:45 PM »

Really depends on what kind of 6wt rod you have.  If it's a very soft rod, you don't want to overline it too much.  If it's so stiff it feels like a pool cue, then you may want to really overline it to load the rod sooner.

Personally, I think the best floating flyline for under $40 is the SA Mastery Headstart.  I still use this floating line on my Winston 4wt IM6 for chironamid fishing because the short head concentrates a lot of weight up front, and this helps me turn over long leaders.  With chironamid fishing, distance is not an issue anyway.  I also like the low memory of this line...overall a great value that performs well and doesn't break the bank.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 08:24:16 PM »

I agree with Stone. As far as the line goes i recomend Aquanova. I have been using it for 10 years for all but my high tec stuff and have been quite happy with it's performance. It is also a Canadian product which is nice. Google it and read for yourself.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:02:30 PM »

Thanks for the help.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 10:22:45 AM »

some shops have "demo" lines. These are provided so customers can try a line out before buying.They are just bagged, no packaging or user pamphlets. Sometimes you can get these unused for quite a saving. Call a few places to see if they have one they'll sell you for what you want to spend.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:27:10 PM »

A word of advice. Don't mix and match your fly lines too much. Once you find a few brand names you like stick with them. The number rating you see on any line is just a industry guide line and lines from one company to another can vary up to 20 grains in weight. The number grading system which we are all use was established as an industry standard back in 1962, again it is only a standard; and the weight of a line from any given line company can be up to 10 grains less or more than the standard. Get two line from different companies at the far opposite end of the scale and it can be very frustrating.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Stone

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2006, 05:15:49 PM »

With the increased popularity of very fast actioned rods in recent years, most major line manufacturers have also put out lines that are up to a 1/2 line weight heavier than what the line ratings used to call for to load these sticks better.  So yes...there's a lot to try out there, and the myriad of offerings can be downright confusing.  I was lucky enough to work at a flyshop for a few years and was able to try a whole lot of gear that I wouldn't have been able to as a regular consumer.  As I have said before, and as Newsman seems to also believe, with some things, you just find what works and stick with it.