Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Laughs back at it  (Read 6777 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Laughs back at it
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:13:55 PM »

Washington 5 Toronto 3  :-X

Big Steel

• Old Timer
  • Searching for early Steel.....
Re: Laughs back at it
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 09:11:27 AM »

We should start in a bit easy ion Chris and the other laugh fans!!  All I have to say is that perhaps Belfour is no longer the key peice to get them to the play-offs!!  But look at the bright side, they have plenty of young talent coming in the years to come!!   ;)
Fishing and Cars.... gotta love it!

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 09:56:26 AM »

Id say something about Nucks back at it with St Louis for the fourth time  ;), but Im too depressed...  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 11:07:31 AM »

I refrained from making any comments about the Make Me Laughs' game against Ottawa out of respect to Chris. It's getting too easy ;D

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 11:15:37 AM »

But look at the bright side, they have plenty of young talent coming in the years to come!!   ;)

I hope you were being sarcastic. The Laughs farms system has been long neglected and most of their potential talent has been sold away in past deadline deals. Can anyone say Housley, Gilmore, Leetch, Francis etc etc etc.

Yes they have Poggie and Rask but they're both a long ways down the road. Expect to see them in in 5+ years. Their only real young talent that is going to help them immediatly is Stajan, Wellwood, Steen, Colaicaovo, Ponikarovsky, and Tellqvist.

They have far too many old player whom are being overpaid. Belfour at 4 mil, are you kidding me? Allison and Lindros, both big gambles which didn't pay off, but hey at least they were both cheap. Tie Domi at 1.1 mil, for a goon? Maybe JFJ takes Don Cherry a little too seriously.

Then you've got guys like McCabe and Tucker who are putting up career numbers and are barley keeping Toronto's foot in the door yet they'll both likley be let go over the off season due to their inflated values after this year and Toronto's salary cap issues.

Looks like Toronto's well on there way to becoming the new New York Rangers.
Actions speak louder than words.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2006, 11:50:05 AM »

Stole this from somewhere else so I can't take credit for this, however, I feel it is a very good analysis of what will transpire in the next few days. Enjoy.

... time to play the "waiting game".

The Canucks have now played their last game before the trade deadline, with our next game against the Predators on Thursday, 7 Hours after the deadline.

Now we're all very aware Nonis is working the phone and looking for defence, goaltending, and possibly a centre.

These moves will be incredibly important, we are going into a stretch of games that has me shaking in my boots:

March 9th: VS Nashville
March 11th: VS Dallas
March 13th: VS Dallas
March 14th: VS Nashville
March 17th: VS Colombus
March 19th: VS Detroit
March 21st: VS Edmonton
March 23rd: VS Edmonton
March 25th: VS Edmonton
March 27th VS LA

Aside from Colombus the Canucks wont have an easy game for the rest of the year... and even Colombus has been coming arounf.

I mentioned in another thread the importance of the games over the weekend, and I still stick by those predictions.

IMO, Toronto should be sellers, even though they are publicly stating they have no reason to worry yet and most Toronto papers are waiting for the game against Montreal to predict the future of Pat Quinn... but really I think any logical person would see this is NOT Toronto's year, and I don't understand why they are so against re-building with young players and casting off the wasted roster spots.

With so few days left (3 days of games) I thought i'd go over the days to see which teams may not have made up their minds:

Monday, March 6th:
Mar 6, 2006 Hurricanes VS Rangers
Mar 6, 2006 Canadiens VS Flyers
Mar 6, 2006 Islanders VS Capitals
Mar 6, 2006 Panthers VS Thrashers
Mar 6, 2006 Senators VS Lightning

Only two important games of note today.

Game 1. Montreal is playing well with Huet in net and has picked up at least a point in 8 straight games. Philli has lost 4 straight.

Montreal is in great position tonight to solidify a hold on the 8th playoff spot in the east. A win tonight would put them 6 points up on Atlanta (with 1 game at hand), 8 pts up on Boston (with a game at hand) and 9 points up on Toronto after the same number of games.

A loss tonight by Montreal might put Toronto into the buying fray.

Game 2. Atlanta really needs to bear down. They are most certainly going to be minor buyers at the deadline, but they need to start being consistant if they hope to squeek into the playoffs.

This game is the last easy one the Thrashers have for quit a while few playing the Rangers, Senators, and then the Rangers again right after the deadline.

The Thrashers will make a push for a playoff spot, but tonight is a 4 point night for Atlanta with Montreal also playing.

If Montreal wins and Atlanta loses Montreal will be 6 points up on Atlanta for 8th in the East, and Montreal will still have 2 games at hand.

Tusday, March 7th

Mar 7, 2006 Bruins VS Sabres
Mar 7, 2006 Devils VS Islanders
Mar 7, 2006 Blackhawks VS Blue Jackets
Mar 7, 2006 Canadiens VS Maple Leafs
Mar 7, 2006 Lightning VS Penguins
Mar 7, 2006 Coyotes VS Red Wings
Mar 7, 2006 Avalanche VS Blues
Mar 7, 2006 Kings VS Wild
Mar 7, 2006 Predators VS Flames
Mar 7, 2006 Stars VS Oilers
Mar 7, 2006 Sharks VS Mighty Ducks

Lots of games on March 7th. When these games start there will be approx. 44 hours before untill the trade deadline.

Here's the games that are important to the deadline:

Game 1. Bruins VS Sabres

Bruins are in a bad spot right now, and this could deffinetly spell the end for their run at the final playoff spot. Bruins have only won 2 of their last 8, and could be possibly 10 points out of a playoff spot after Tuesday with Montreal holding a game at hand.

That would mean Boston would have to win 15 of it's last 20 games to even have a good shot at making the playoffs. They'd also have to hope Montreal chokes, and Atlanta and Toronto bow out.

Game 2. Montreal VS Toronto

Most important game of the year for Toronto and Pat Quinn. If Montreal beats the lowly Flyers tonight, then beats Toronto the Laffs would be 11 Points out of 8th spot.

It is possible to come back from an 11 point defecite... but it's damn hard when you have key injuries, and you've been losing games badly:

TOs' last 5 games:

4-2 Loss VS Rangers
4-2 Loss VS Rangers
5-3 Loss VS Capitals
6-2 Loss VS Sabres
4-2 Loss VS Senators

Game 3 Sharks VS Ducks

Big game for the Western Playoff race.

Edmonton is allready looking strong winning two key games VS San Jose and then Nashville over the weekend holding their 8th place in the West.

The Ducks have been playing well only 4 pts back of Edmonton (still with a game at hand) and is looking to make a push to steal that spot.

San Jose has not been clutch when they need to be and is slowly losing out on the playoffs, Minnesota now ahead of them by a point.

With a win the Ducks could knock San Jose into a tough position. With 22 games remaining the Sharks could be 10 points out of the playoffs, and the Ducks could be right there with Edmonton with a win over the Sharks.

March 8th:

Mar 8, 2006 Hurricanes VS Flyers
Mar 8, 2006 Penguins VS Capitals
Mar 8, 2006 Rangers VS Thrashers
Mar 8, 2006 Senators VS Panthers

Not much here.

The only game with any real meaning could be the Atlanta game.

Atlanta really needs a few points in these next 2 games or Montreal will be far ahead, and hold a couple of games on the Thrashers for 8th spot in the Conference.

There's 6 games that could still potentially lead to teams becoming sellers, or buyers.

The Canucks need to address holes. This is not like previous years where we have only 1 or 2 minor injuries, we desperatly need to fill our holes to prepare for the roughest part of the season.
Actions speak louder than words.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2006, 06:25:48 PM »

I bet Quinn gone by Friday morning. Any takers?
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 06:38:42 PM »

How's your plan coming Terry ? You know the one having the Laughs finish 8th and meeting Ottawa in the first round ? ;D

fishfinder

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 10:28:06 PM »

Who would take over as coach of the Leafs if Quinn is canned?? Maybe they should get rid of JFJr and Richard Peddie as well.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 10:27:10 PM »

You will note that my plan is right on track. ;D
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 10:42:33 PM »

Good to see the Laugh fans chirping again ! Tonight's win is just prolonging the inevitable. Right Chris ? ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2006, 11:47:17 PM »

Rolling, rolling, rolling right along ;D ;D ;D once again. Times are good again. ;D