Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sage or Gloomis?  (Read 2433 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Sage or Gloomis?
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »

One of my pin rods is a Gloomis GL2, 1363-BC, 11'4", Med-Heavy, Fast action, 12-20, 3/8-2oz. It's my go-to rod for chum and springs, as well as coho and steelhead in faster water or water with little wiggle room to play/land a fish.

I'm wondering if anyone has fished this same rod as well as a Sage 3113MB, and can offer a head to head comparison?

I'm considering buying a 3113MB and, assuming I like it more than the Gloomis, selling the Loomis.

I don't have the specs for the 3113MB, but I believe it's similar in power to my rod. However the Loomis is faster action.

I am quite happy with the Loomis and should probably just stick with it, but on the other hand I kind of want a new toy. :o

EDIT: I found the 3113MB specs online. Should be 12-20 line rating and 1 1/4 -2oz line rating. So very similar to the Gloomis 1363.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 04:39:52 PM by Spawn Sack »

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: Sage or Gloomis?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 06:34:10 PM »

I have a factory build Sage CP 3113M.

It's not for sale but you're more than welcome to line it up with one of your reels and fish it for a day.

Shoot me a text if you'd like to try it.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 09:06:37 PM »

I have a factory build Sage CP 3113M.

It's not for sale but you're more than welcome to line it up with one of your reels and fish it for a day.

Shoot me a text if you'd like to try it.

Nice, very nice! 

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 05:44:39 PM »

Today buddy loaned me his factory 3113M - nice guy! Have not fished it yet.

Did some weighing and measuring in garage.

GLoomis is 2.05oz heavier at 9.7oz. Sage weighs 7.65oz.

GLoomis reel seat is 3.75 inches higher than the Sage. GLoomis is 11.25 inches from the end of the butt to the center of my pin reel. Sage is 7.5 inches.
The GLoomis reel seat is a tad high for my liking, about an inch lower would be nice, but it's not a big deal. The Sage reel seat is too low for my liking. I'd like it about 2.5 inches higher.

Both rods have almost identical butt thickness, measured about 1 inch above the top of the cork. GLoomis is .5475 inch and Sage is .5435 inch.

Laying both rods side by side you can definitely see that the Gloomis is a bit thicker in the top half of the rod. The Sage starts to taper to skinny about half way up the rod. The Gloomis does not taper to skinny until the top 1/3rd of the rod.

Will fish the 3113M mid week - stoked!   

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:40 PM »

Fished buddie's CP 3113M all day yesterday. I like the blank a lot. Casts nice, definitely feels a bit lighter in the hand than my GLoomis. I didn't hook a fish on it but I did put my hook into a log on shore and load the rod up a bit.

I think edge would go to the GLoomis for hook setting power; the fast action blank loads up instantly and driving even 1/0 jig hooks is no problem with even a half-effort hook set. I doubt the Sage would give the Loomis a run for its money in this category; however, I like the weight and feel of the Sage a bit better.

Unfortunately the height Sage sets the reel seat at on these factory rods is way too low for my liking. I like mine 3-4 inches higher up the cork so the butt of the rod is about even with my funny bone if I hold the rod with my hand in it's normal resting spot on the blank + reel and hold my arm out at 90 degrees like I just did a big hook set. On the factory Sage the butt of the rod stops about 2/3rd the way down my forearm.

Bottom line: I would definitley consider a 3113M pin rod down the road, but I'd have to go custom build. For now I'll stick with the Loomis as my go-to med/heavy power pin rod.

likely

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 02:15:34 PM »

sage is a 3 power 11.3 foot good rod. ive also used the loomis also a good rod save it if you do any down rigger fishing in the ocean sage is also a good rod for the rigger. I find there both a little heavy duty for rivers and streams but both good for chum and chinnook