Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: flies for sockeye?  (Read 3432 times)

hotrod

flies for sockeye?
« on: May 16, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »

As the title to the topic says! This past winter really fell in love with spey casting! I am looking to learn as much as possible about flies for all salmon. With certain rivers having their sockeye run on the go, I would like to get them on the fly.Any tips on this would be appreciated! Thx :)

hotrod

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: flies for sockeye?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 09:20:16 AM »

best flies for me have been Chartruese clousers ranging in sizes and small red coloured flies. I have caught the odd ones on flies i use for pinks but not with any consistency

good luck
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

hotrod what rivers are you looking to try the spey on
love to hook up with you sometime and chuck some feathers

gilbey

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »

As the title to the topic says! This past winter really fell in love with spey casting! I am looking to learn as much as possible about flies for all salmon. With certain rivers having their sockeye run on the go, I would like to get them on the fly.Any tips on this would be appreciated! Thx :)

hotrod
 Try a green Dean river lantern they seem to work pretty good for sockeye

hotrod

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »

Thanks guys! I may be in the skeena/nass area when the sox hit the river!Maybe over the island as well! Britguy we'll get together soon and toss the feathers for sure. Its been a couple of years since we last hit the river together I would also like to hit some springs but my rod is way under gunned. Have a Z-Axis 1229 #8! I guess it might hold but will be pretty tough on a big river! Thanks for the tips fellas! What are your thoughts on the theory that sockeye don't bite?

Hotrod

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:30 PM »

I am on the side that says they are not good biters. When you are on the Skeena and the schools of sockeye come by you may get the odd fish which will actually bite, but for the most part the fish will be flossed.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 07:04:07 PM »

heavy weighted egg flies, glo bugs, cowichan special, babine special all have worked for sockey on stamp sockeye for me.

hotrod

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:54:47 PM »

heavy weighted egg flies, glo bugs, cowichan special, babine special all have worked for sockey on stamp sockeye for me.

Thanks guys! This is a great start for me!Really need to get out and have some fun!

hotrod