Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: noob getting into fly fishing... one handed, swtich or spey?  (Read 7465 times)

MoeJKU

Re: noob getting into fly fishing... one handed, swtich or spey?
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 11:28:31 AM »

I have started off at the beginning of the year. I was going through this debate as well. Single hand is what i ended up choosing, as mostly everyone recommended it to me as the same on here. I have enjoyed it a lot. I started with lakes for trout as i found there was a gap in my fishing year from winter steels, to salmon on the ocean, then salmon in the river.
Take a course about casting, and maybe look at getting a cheap vise and start tying your own as well. ITs quite enjoyable. Now i ever tie my own jigs for gear.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:57 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm starting to get into fly fishing (targeting salmon). 

This tells me you want at least a 7wt flyrod for whatever you choose.

coho mostly, but definitely will try for bulls, chum, and steelhead too.

This (the type of fish you're targeting) tells me a 7wt or 8wt singlehander would be ideal and the most versatile, though a spey or switch rod would be nice as well for when you're swinging for bull trout or steelhead.  Chum, coho, and pinks often respond best to a stripped fly (which lends itself to using a singlehander), though that's not always the case.

If it were me, I'd choose a 7wt single hander, 9'6" rod. 

6wt will be too light for chum and most steelhead, but an 8wt would be a bit overkill for the bulls, pinks, and smaller coho.  A 7wt finds the sweet spot.

I'd pick a 9'6" because that extra bit of length gives you a bit more lift and reaching power, in my experience.

Good luck!

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »

Does anyone know a place that you could go to try and cast all the different types of rods?
Or maybe rent one for a day?  :P

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

go to Michael & Young in Surrey or Vancouver. even though your very new someone there should still be able to have you making casts in the parking lot while you try out different rods. They do carry Echo, Dragonfly and a couple lower to middle of the road rods. If you go to a big box store (wholesale sports) you wont be allowed to test cast rods with lines as far as I know because they don't have demo fly lines/reels. You can only get away with wiggling the rod a little which helps but not a whole lot. Im not totally sure but you should be able to demo rods at Berry's, Pacific Angler, Searun......or any of the smaller more specialized shops around. I only know about M&Y personally
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

TayC

• Scott Howells Moustache
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 05:23:17 PM »

Does anyone know a place that you could go to try and cast all the different types of rods?
Or maybe rent one for a day?  :P

August 10th, M&Y is holding a free spey casting tune up session on the vedder from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., I have two 2 handers you can try out and I am sure there will be others willing to let you try.  Would be a good opportunity to talk and gain some good info.

Cheers,
Taylor
A swung fly is the best fly.

HamidSeshadri

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:36 PM »

August 10th, M&Y is holding a free spey casting tune up session on the vedder from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., I have two 2 handers you can try out and I am sure there will be others willing to let you try.  Would be a good opportunity to talk and gain some good info.

Cheers,
Taylor

damn, unfortunately i work on saturdays =(
i appreciate the offer though.

go to Michael & Young in Surrey or Vancouver. even though your very new someone there should still be able to have you making casts in the parking lot while you try out different rods. They do carry Echo, Dragonfly and a couple lower to middle of the road rods. If you go to a big box store (wholesale sports) you wont be allowed to test cast rods with lines as far as I know because they don't have demo fly lines/reels. You can only get away with wiggling the rod a little which helps but not a whole lot. Im not totally sure but you should be able to demo rods at Berry's, Pacific Angler, Searun......or any of the smaller more specialized shops around. I only know about M&Y personally

thanks hook, i'll check them out