Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: new to fly fishing  (Read 6012 times)

lucarno

new to fly fishing
« on: March 31, 2013, 02:51:13 AM »

hey i'm just getting into fly fishing and was wandering about what knots are appropriate for attaching the tippet to different types of flies. i had good success today with a pumpkin head and an improved clinch knot. what about loop knots? is that just for chironomids? i'm a total beginner so far i'm just trolling. got a few micro leeches, pumpkin heads and spratleys. will certain knots give these better action when being trolled or stripped in? also when it starts to get dark out do i want to move to something bigger or brighter color? any sage knowledge would be appreciated. oh and any recommended reading? thanks. 

BNF861

• Old Timer
Re: new to fly fishing
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 07:28:34 AM »

An improved cinch knot will work fine but for improved action of the fly I like to use a non slip loop knot. It is especially useful for flys that are suspended under an indicator, but I use a loop knot for almost every fly except for when using dries for the extra movement that it allows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6t1TIMv-Ok

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 08:34:37 AM »

Exactly what BNF said. Every fly in the box gets the loop knot except dries.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I also use a trilene knot, over the improved clinch knot, it is as quick to tie and stronger.  The loop will give you much more action, even when stripping or trolling, especially those leaches if you are rowing while trolling.
Not all those who wander are lost

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 08:25:32 PM »

Holy crap that loop knot is stupid simple to tie.

I had bad luck with lots of missed takes using a loop knot last year, so I stayed away from them, but I think I will try again, since it does give any fly more action in the water. And being that simple, rerigging should take less time now too!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:11:02 PM »

Holy crap that loop knot is stupid simple to tie.

I had bad luck with lots of missed takes using a loop knot last year, so I stayed away from them, but I think I will try again, since it does give any fly more action in the water. And being that simple, rerigging should take less time now too!

You know... it is a simple knot to tie, which beg the question, why doesn't Brian Chan know how to tie it correctly?  I just watched the video in the link posted above and it Brian is not tying the knot correctly, which actually affects the strength and effectiveness of the knot.  Fishing legend Lefty Kreh's version of this knot, which retains almost the full line testing strength, (so much so, that the line itself actually fails before the knot does, snapping where the line contacts the eye of the hook, rather than in the knot itself) is different than that shown by Brian in the video.  The difference between Lefty's knot and Brian's version is two fold...first, the number of wraps you make is dependent on the line diameter (7 turns for 6 pound test or lower, 5 turns for 8-12 pound test, 4 turns for 15-40 pound, 3 turns for 50-60 pounds, and only 2 turns for greater than 60); second, in Brian's knot, he fails to pass the tag end through the overhand knot before wrapping.  In Lefty's version (and also the similar Rapala knot), after making the over hand knot and passing the end through the eye of the hook, you are supposed to pass the end through the overhand knot, make your wraps (again the number of wraps depends on the line size), and then pass the tag end back through the overhand knot (it is important that you do this from the same side of the knot that it came out of so that the line ends up pointing back at the hook (NOT at 90 degrees as suggested by Brian, which is actually a sign that you did not tie the knot correctly).  In fact, Lefty claimed that one of the advantages of this knot is that the tag end is pointing towards the hook so it is less likely to catch grass and weeds on the retrieve).

For a correct demo of this knot check out this link:

http://www.flyfishingtraditions.com/techniques/tips/nuts-and-bolts/lefty-krehs-loop-knot

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 09:51:06 PM »

Good eye sandman I wonder if he just forgot to pass the tag back through the loop. I think 7 wraps is a little much IMO. I'm going to tie a Chan loop right now and see what happens on the bench.

ajransom

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 02:24:16 PM »

You can also get the Orvis iPhone app which has lot of knots for various purposes. Tom Rosenbauer from orvis has a great podcast too which has been invaluable for my learning. I highly recommend it.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=4047

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:45 PM »

Good eye sandman I wonder if he just forgot to pass the tag back through the loop. I think 7 wraps is a little much IMO. I'm going to tie a Chan loop right now and see what happens on the bench.

Yeah, I am tough on Brian but have been a fan of his for a while (through my late father) and I am sure this was a small brain fart in front of the camera.  What really puzzled me though was his comment about the tag being at 90 degrees, as that is a sure sign you tied it wrong, not right, as the tag is supposed to point to the hook.  He must have been thinking of another knot at the time.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 04:05:07 PM »

Yeah, I am tough on Brian but have been a fan of his for a while (through my late father) and I am sure this was a small brain fart in front of the camera.  What really puzzled me though was his comment about the tag being at 90 degrees, as that is a sure sign you tied it wrong, not right, as the tag is supposed to point to the hook.  He must have been thinking of another knot at the time.

Perfection Loops have the 90 degree tag I believe.

Either way, I appreciate your post. Ill learn the PROPER way to tie it for sure. I will say, before I saw your post today, I was out last weekend, and I believe this knot, and the action it gave my leech was the main reason I didnt skunk out that day. One fish, and Im sure it was the movement of the fly. I know I was on fish, I know they were hungry, but only one took my leech.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

whereismyfloat

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »

another great one to have in the arsenal is a davy wotton knot. this works great when the hands are freezing cold and can't function!

very easy. very strong.

http://flyguys.net/blog/fishing-knots/davy-wotton

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:40:32 PM »

Perfection Loops have the 90 degree tag I believe.

yes that's right.