Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got schooled...  (Read 3222 times)

Double Underhooks

Got schooled...
« on: May 17, 2005, 09:12:31 AM »

I headed out late yesterday to the 3 Rd pier in Richmond for a little fishing. Not thinking I was going to hook anything, I brought my small rod with 6lb line (90% of the time I only end up with sculpins of pike minnows).

I was using dew worms for bait and casted about 25-30 ft to the west side of the pier and within 10 minutes had a bite. As I pulled in my line it got really heavy, like I got snagged. Then the line starts moving and goes straight for the pier and under it  :o. I tried my best to provided some resistance (rod really bent) as I didn't want my line to tangled with the structures. This pull and release went on for a couple of minutes until the fish gave it a jerk and snapped the line. Wish I could've at least brought it to the surface for a glimpse...This teaches me never to bring a knife incase it becomes a gun fight ;D

What do you guys think it was? sturgeon? It didn't thrash too much but was more like a heavy sinking weight...

Let me know if you see a fish attached to a 1oz weight and half a green ear plug that I use to float the hook ;D

Steelies-nitemare

Re: Got schooled...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 10:20:25 AM »

Definately Sturgeon.   ;D ;)  Sturgeon will take dew worms and if not being fought with the right tackle will give the impression of a sunken swimming log. ;)  These fish can be huge and will feed in some of the shallowist waters.  ;) Seen some fish over6' jumping in about 6-8' of water 4 days ago.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 10:22:50 AM »

Yep, could be a sturgeon, or could be a big bull trout.

Hard to say unless we saw how the fish fought at the pier. :)

Best to use a rod that is a bit longer, a reel that is a bit stronger, a line that is a bit heavier on that pier because of its height. I've seen many big fish caught beside that pier.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2005, 11:13:10 AM »

Thanks for the insight guys, whatever it was it was heavy for a fish in that area!
From now on I'm going to use some better equiptment when fishing at that location...and bring a digital camera :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2005, 11:30:46 AM »

Another vote for sturgeon

Steelies-nitemare

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2005, 11:41:45 AM »

The biggest Pike minnow In da fraser... ::) ;D

Double Underhooks

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2005, 02:25:52 PM »

That would be something, pull a mutated giant Pike Minnow!

Just went to Anglers West at lunch and bought some weights and salmon roe (D&G Super Salmon Eggs). Anyone tried this type of bait before?
Saw the pink bubble gum worms too but the guy said regular dew worms would probably work better in the lower fraser b/c the fishes goes by scent and wouldn't be able to see the worms.