Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mono fishing line  (Read 4094 times)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
mono fishing line
« on: May 14, 2005, 03:16:23 PM »

i know maxima is the best to buy,but any other brand name is as good???  Thanks

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: mono fishing line
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2005, 03:22:13 PM »

Stick with Maxima

Muddler

• Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2005, 05:08:09 PM »

Maxima is very good line and is very strong. However, if you use spinning gear I would go with Trilene XL or P Line as they are much more limp and have way less memory than maxima. Maxima is famous for coiling on spinning and its a pain in the a$$ when fishing with coily line. Also keep in mind that maxima is under rated so a 12lb maxima is more like a 15lb regular monofilament. P Line is nice stuf and its a bit cheaper than maxima.

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2005, 06:41:29 PM »

Both Ande Green and Berkley Big Game are suitable replacements for Maxima and not nearly as expensive.

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2005, 06:54:19 PM »

Both Ande Green and Berkley Big Game are suitable replacements for Maxima and not nearly as expensive.
there are two difference type of berkley big game line,i think 1 is call big game and the other called big game supreme,and the price is a lot cheaper than maxima too,but never try those before,did anybody try those other fishing line yet?what the comment

?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2005, 07:15:39 PM »

I used to predominantly use Berkley lines, but then converted my salt water gear to Maxima (the old Berkley was starting to turn white). My fres water gear followed soon after. There's something about that line, the colour and feel of it, it just feels like better quality. I havn't looked back. I used to use Berkley on my light spinning rod (8 lb), but I was finding that it too was turning white (not much good fishing a clear water river), so I switched that recently as well. The only other line that I use, other than Maxima is TUFF line on my hali rod.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2005, 11:07:30 PM »

I am getting a service spool of  15lb maxima ultragreen (and 50lb power pro braid)...if you are looking for a cheap spool up, let me know Big T (or anyone else).

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2005, 09:47:54 AM »

I used to predominantly use Berkley lines, but then converted my salt water gear to Maxima (the old Berkley was starting to turn white).
Well it was turning white because you're so cheap! ;D
LOL!
Man alive don't you ever change you line?