Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing info  (Read 5145 times)

TP

Fishing info
« on: May 13, 2005, 01:22:28 PM »

My name is Terrill and I live in Tallahassee, Florida. I will be traveling to the Vancouver area in August with a buddy to fish and would like some advice on areas, rigs, etc. We are not Fly fisherman and will not have access to a boat (can't afford guides). We will have a car and do not mind traveling within 3-4 hours of Vancouver. We like to fish with spinning rigs and spoons. Is this okay in your area. any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Fishing info
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 01:25:18 PM »

Hi Terrill, when about in August, early or late? What about September?

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 01:31:09 PM »

What is your target species?  What type of gear are you fishing...6 foot, light action rods for trout, 11 foot medium-heavy rods for salmon??  Do you want fresh water, tidal, or both?

August Should be a good time for fresh water salmon:  Pinks, Springs, and in some rivers coho will all be happening.

Give us some mor especific details.

TP

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »

The 18th - 25th. We are interested in spending a day or two fishing the rivers, and maybe a day or two in the mountains (lakes and streams). We have lightweight spinning rigs for the lakes, and hope to purchase 9-10' rods with 4000 or so reels for the Salmon in the rivers. ????

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 01:41:28 PM »

There are quite a few options Terrill.

Fraser River
If you are after salmon, there will be several species returning into the Fraser River in August. These are chinook, sockeye and pink salmon. This year is the peak year for pink salmon return, the estimated return size is in the 6 million fish range. September is usually the month for pinks, but the odd fish do emerge in August as well, especially late August. There are many locations to target these fish, and when the trip gets closer I'm sure you'll find out about those spots on here. The opening seasons on the Fraser River can sometimes change in the last minute, so it is hard to give precise locations and times at this point. There are also various coarse fish species that you can target.

Capilano River
The Capilano River is located in North Vancouver, about 10 to 20 minutes from Downtown Vancouver. In August, the mouth of Capilano should be stacked with coho salmon, but they are not easy to catch. Spinning with various lures is the method.

Seymour River
Seymour River is also located in North Vancouver, just beside the Second Narrows Bridge. Expect pink salmon to arrive at the river mouth. Openings have not been announced at this point.

Vancouver Island streams
Someone else maybe able to provide more information on this. A trip to the island, not just for fishing, is recommended. Some of the river further north should be good for salmon.

Chilliwack River
Chilliwack River is located around 1.5 hours from Vancouver. In late August, you should be able to see some pink salmon in the river and also the odd chinook salmon.

Since you are coming all the way out here, I would also highly recommend to take a guiding trip out for a day, or half a day. You will have a good time. Sturgeon fishing will be excellent in the Fraser River, and you will also be able to do some salmon fishing after a few hours of sturgeon fishing. Randy at Ultimate Sportfishing maybe able to cater your needs.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2005, 01:47:14 PM »

August is a good time to be fishing locally. The salmon should be returning to their native rivers. Just keep checking this and other fishing forums.

TP

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2005, 01:55:47 PM »

Thank you very much Rodney. We were out last year for the first time and did spend a day with a guide in Campbell river. Everything was great, but we did not catch any fish. Expensive shut-out.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2005, 02:00:16 PM »

You were guided in Campbell River and they didn't get you into fish?! :-\

Keep in mind saltwater guided trips are more expensive too. I think you'll find Randy's rates fairly reasonable. He'll also be doing a special for pink salmon as well.

TP

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2005, 02:35:55 PM »

Thanks for the info on Randy's. We plan to purchase all of equipment we we get to Vancouver. Ant advice on tackle shops?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2005, 02:46:39 PM »

Berry's Bait and Tackle is relatively closed to the airport (Richmond) and is very well stocked with fishing equipment.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2005, 03:17:01 PM »

Or Anglers' West in Vancouver

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2005, 07:11:11 PM »

Yep, give STS Guiding Service a call as well if Randy is not available. STS is a larger company that is a lot busier than smaller businesses such as Randy's, but ask for Tom, Ken or Vic if interested for a trip as they take great care of their customers.

miketheflyguy

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2005, 07:53:41 PM »

If your looking to hire Vic and company better book SOON! He has very few dates availible in August!

mike
<)))><